The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S53 exim configuration has been defaulted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rs-freddo, May 7, 2005.

1. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I upgraded to S53 and edited the exim configuration with the WHM editor. Today I logged in to tweak it some more and all my changes are gone.

Can anyone else confirm this is a S53 bug?

Just did some extra checking and it looks my configs are still active - I had added anti-virus header into emails and the latest email has the header OK. So it looks like I'm pulling the default exim config or the configs been changed by upcp but exim hasn't been restarted.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

What version of exim are you running:

rpm -qa | grep exim

The exim editor pulls its values from /etc/exim.conf.local and uses those to build exim.conf by running /scripts/buildeximconf

3. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    exim-4.43-40_cpanel_smtpctl_av_rewrite_mm2_mmmtrap_exiscan_md5pass

nothing in /etc/exim.conf.local

/etc/exim.conf seems to contain some stuff i put in such as parts of the avconnector stuff i put in (but maybe cpanel is doing that now). Oddly enough the x-antivirus-scanner is not in exim.conf but does appear in my emails.

I think there's a bug but someone else will need to edit using advanced exim configurator and see if they lose their changes...

interesting the antivirus stuff in exim.conf does not appear in the advanced editor.

This is not an old version of my exim advanced changes either as I had 3 lines of rewrites which are not showing in exim.conf

Unfortunately i don't know enough about exim/cpanel to actually say whether there is a bug or not...

#3 rs-freddo, May 7, 2005
    Last edited: May 7, 2005
  4. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So you're saying that the upgrade to S53 didn't upgrade exim - well that's a bug straight off!

I never edit exim.conf manually - i used the advanced editor after upgrading to S53. I think there's definitely a few exim bugs in the S53 release.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

That's a pretty old version of the exim package (and does have a securty vulnerability in it IIRC). Are you sure that you didn't originally edit exim.conf directly as without exim.conf.local the rebuild of exim.conf will lose any changes.

I'd suggest upgrading to the current release of exim which is 4.50:

/scripts/updatenow
    /scripts/exim4 --latest

That last script is deprecated but still works incase you're running an older version of cPanel in the release tree. Exim releases are independent (to an extent) from the cPanel release tree.

Note that after upgrading you will have to readd any changes that you want.

6. rs-freddo

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just checked my other server which I haven't upgraded to S53 - it's on the 9.9 stable and the /etc/exim.conf.local does have the changes.

Yes, it's the 4.43-40 version too.

I'd say everyone on stable tree will be having these problems - they just don't know it yet...
    Least mail is still working, :D