The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sa-update - what files actually change?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by bignose, Mar 2, 2010.

1. bignose

bignose Active Member

Hi,

I just ran sa-update to fix the FH_DATE_PAST_20XX bug,however when it runs none of the timestamps on the files in /usr/local/share/spamassassin

but new files do show up in /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002004/updates_spamassassin_org

Do I just copy these over? Shouldn't sa-update do this for me?

2. mattmattt

mattmattt Member

I am also curious about this question.
    When I ran sa-update on my freebsd cpanel boxes it stuck everything into the
    /var/lib area and left /usr/local/share/spamassassin untouched.

So back in the day I edited it by hand to fix the issue. But now I do really want
    those sa-updates for better filtering...

Based on the spamassassin man page it should be looking in /var/lib first but
    somehow I do not think that is the case because sa-update failed to fix this
    bug and I had to edit the file by hand.

Do I just copy them over like the OP was thinking? I really hate having stuff
    in two different places.... Would I be better editing an /etc/mail/spammassassin/ config file?

Any comments would be appreciated.

3. bignose

bignose Active Member

my best advice is ditch FreeBSD and use CentOS. Cpanel only pretend to work well on FreeBSD and its actually a red headed stepchild.

I wanted to stay true to FreeBSD, but CentOS really is what cPanel is meant for.

4. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

This FAQ might help regarding SA RuleUpdates:

RuleUpdates - Spamassassin Wiki

5. JamieW

JamieW Member

Okay I was getting this too. I just noticed getting some false positives. But I chalked it up to being a new source that SA hadn't learned yet. But then some from a site I had received just fine before were caught as spam. Looking at them I had the FH_DATE_PAST_20XX tag, even though the date looked fine. I found this and other info and did the sa-update also, which still didn't fix it as the OP and others mentioned. I then read the FAQ AndyReed pointed to. There's a lot to wade through, but the important part is:
    So sa-update fixed those files, why is it still incorrectly flagging it? You need to restart SA! And to do that you need to restart exim. Then it will start looking for it in the new folder.

So it breaks down real easy. If you're getting the FH_DATE_PAST_20XX bug then just do:

1. sa-update
    2. Restart exim (via WHM or service exim restart)

Real easy. I hope that helps someone else! That's a bug likely to make a lot of false positives at 3.2 points each!

Oh, and I'm guessing we will need to set up a crontab or something to periodically run sa-update after that, to keep it up to date.

#5 JamieW, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  6. gkgcpanel

gkgcpanel Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Didn't work...

Tried your suggestion. Ran sa-update then restarted exim (service restart exim) and still the files in the /var/lib/spamassassin/3.002004/updates_spamassassin_org directory are dated Jan 2, 2010.

SpamAssassin is running, but we are seeing tons of spam coming through which is putting a huge load on the server.

Can't figure out why this isn't working...