Safe to mova a 15G site via the WHM transfer utility?

timg

Apr 8, 2004
I'm planning on moving a relatively large site to my new server. Just wondering if it would be safe to do it via WHM or should I tar the files and images and transfer those via FTP?

ChrisRHS

Jul 12, 2006
Hi there,

Do you have root access to both servers? Even if you have just user access to the old server, you can create a backup, then move the backup to a web accessible directory and make is readable, then from the new server, you can wget the backup, so you are using the servers fast connection to download the backup. Once done, you can do a restore on the new server.

Hope that helps,
Chris

timg

Apr 8, 2004
Yes, I have root access to both servers. I've already moved some smaller sites over, one of them was around 1G and it took maybe 15-20 minutes. I just wasn't sure if the streaming transfer would timeout with a much larger amount of data to move.

cutabovehost

Oct 19, 2010
I know from moving sites over 2gb in size that you have to be very careful that the backup is a full backup. I have lost data on several moves where I used the full backup feature and yet all the data was not there. The actual content lost was emails. I don't know if this had anything to do with a particular server or just cPanel timing out while executing or what.

timg

Apr 8, 2004
I just moved everything over via the WHM transfer utility successfully. It was just over 14G of data... took about 3 hours.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hostmedic Transfers 3