Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

safe to move /usr/share and symlink?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BassTeQ, Feb 19, 2014.

1. BassTeQ

BassTeQ Active Member

Hi all,

On a running cpanel system would it be safe to move /usr/share to another partition and create a symlink for /usr/share -> /home/usr/share ?

Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I would consider moving log files before symbolically linking the entire /usr/share directory. I recommend reinstalling the OS with the recommended partition scheme as the long term solution to the lack of available disk space.

cPanel - Recommended Partitions

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BassTeQ

BassTeQ Active Member

Thanks Michael, the log files are not that big, the easiest way to gain some more space would be to move the /usr/share data, would it break anything if I did move and symlink it?

The long term plan is to move to a new server with an updated partition scheme.

Cheers

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would not personally attempt to symbolically link the /usr/share directory to another partition. It's possible that it won't break anything, but it's not something I have ever attempted. How much space do you need to free up? Have you considered symlinking the Apache domlogs directory instead?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. BassTeQ

BassTeQ Active Member

The /usr/share is consuming 1GB thought that may have been an easy gain. The domlogs have already been moved to another partition. Ive 76% free in /usr was just trying to gain as much as possible to hopefully avoid any issues down the track.