The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe to Upgrade Kernel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coderoyal, Apr 11, 2005.

1. coderoyal

coderoyal Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

This may seem like a silly question, but I should ask to be safe! :)

I'm fairly familiar with cpanel and am trying to get it running at ou school here in Hermon Maine.

I know that up2date by default doesn't upgrade the kernel. I'd think cpanel would when you run the install script, but nope...

So, is there a reason Cpanel doesn't touch this? Am I OK to manually run the up2date -nox kernel command or does Cpanel compile itself around the original kernel?

I'm familiar with u+pgrading kenels and removing the old ones, but I'd like to know if I am safe to do this on a Cpanel server.

Thanks!
    Alan
    Hermon School District

2. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

up2date -uf packagename should do it. You'll need to replace packagename with whatebver kernel packages you need upgraded, such as kernel, kernel-smp, kernel-source, kernel-utils, kernel-docs, etc.

As long as up2date has kernel* in the "intallnotup" (or however it may be spelled) in up2date configuration, the kernel and kernel-smp packages will be installed, as opposed to upgrading the old packages. You can then remove old kernels with rpm -e kernel-version respectively.

3. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i always had good luck with this command

up2date -f --nox kernel or kernel-smp

4. coderoyal

Thanks to both of you! Actually, I'm familiar with how to install kernels. I am asking though if it's OK to do on a cpanel server.

Is it safe to? Does cPanel compile around the kernel?

5. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    sorry yes its perfectly safe to use up2date to update a cpanel server kernel

6. haze

haze Well-Known Member

The kernel is, absolutely fine to upgrade. Not doing so, can lead to very very bad problems and wide open vulnerabilities. cPanel does not upgrade the kernel for a couple of reasons..

1. cPanel is NOT a drop in replacement for a system admin, it is only meant to help make our lives easier ( not put us out of a job! )

2. A long long time ago, and a place far far aways.. ok well a few years ago, cPanel removed the kernel updating in at least redhat ( if memory serves correct ) as people were neglecting to ensure the new kernel was default and rebooting.

Honestly, its best to leave this option to the admin. Not all of us use the vendor provided kernels. Some compile the vendor kernels and even vanilla kernels from source.

7. coderoyal

Thanks! I've upgraded the kernel with no problems. :D