The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safe_mode - may increase server load?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by netlook, May 26, 2004.

1. netlook

netlook Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hello,

If I would turn safe mode in php.ini - would it increase my server load (of might)?

Is it worth to buildapache with SAFE MODE "ticked" by WHM or I can simply enable safe mode in php.ini with the same effect as when I would recompile?

But the most interesting thing for me is would it provide my server load higher??? :confused:

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    PHP safe_mode does not increase Server load. It simply adds an excellent level of security. You must include it within your compile options as well as manually editting the php.ini file afterwards -- replace Off with On.

3. robert2807351

robert2807351 Member

since I only have WHM access I am guessing that you guys are talking about root access (which I do not have) - I simply have basic a reseller account...

HOWEVER... I am running some server side software that requires server safe mode off and my reseller account providers are refusing to turn it off... So DO I find a new provider or trash can the software?

The software needs to be able to create directories, write permissions and automate crone jobs.

The software people say that I do not need server safe mode on and that "MOST HOSTING COMPANIES" have it turned off... I have no idea what it is or what the truth is - can someone please enlighten me?

#3 robert2807351, Oct 11, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  4. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Only you can answer that one. There are hosts that do not enable safe mode restrictions.

5. robert2807351

robert2807351 Member

ok true, but we are strongly considering the move to co-located server company as opposed to simply a reseller account so that we would have root access and turn safe mode off.

the problem is that I do not want to run some kind of security risk for our customers because of it. (i.e i have no idea yet what server safe mode on does) short of "providing a reasonable means of server security" :confused:

can someone tell me or link me to what the benefits of safe mode - on are? and then maybe i could evaluate this better... ? thanks

#5 robert2807351, Oct 12, 2004
  6. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

There is no need to keep this discussion ongoing in two threads.

Please post replies to the other thread.

7. robert2807351

robert2807351 Member

#7 robert2807351, Oct 12, 2004