The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

safemode was off, turned on , and now off again - problems now.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nappa, Jan 17, 2004.

1. nappa

nappa Active Member

I needed to turn on safemode about two weeks ago. Becuase a hostee planned to host a free hosting site. I wanted to secure the machine as much as possible. But he decided to can it - and I tried to go back to safemode = off. But now occationally I am getting safe mode errors about open base directory restrictions. The thing is that I've excluded that directory from restrictions. And I've also stopped using ./file.php in the source of files - thinking that is the problem. But what I see is the problem is that other usernames' restrictions are being applied to the one that I have.

Ie. The home partition for my problem directory is -

/home/ponoko

the one that is showing up is

/home/krissi

to make it clear - the page tells me that open directory restroction ( of krissi ) is in affect - thus they can't show /home/ponoko/www/forums.php

Does anyone know how to fix it. I've used easy apache to change mode and back. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank

2. LP-Trel

LP-Trel Well-Known Member

That might be the open_basedir tweak. Try to disable it and see what happens. ;)

3. nappa

nappa Active Member

on the entire server -- that is not a great idea for me. One of my said idiot user had a unsecured upload form - some guys uploaded some php script and wrecked havok on his site. Thankfully THAT saved them from gaining access to the entire server. I don't want to take that risk again.

Is there anything else that may be done ?

I've already disabled openbase dir on that account. But it still does.

----- I did notice that the affect account didn't have a open base dir clause in httpd. I've added it's own. And hopefully it won't happen.

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Try recompiling php without safemode. Sometimes just turning it off isn't good enough.

5. nappa

nappa Active Member

That is exactly what I did. I had the default PHP (safemode off ) for the last 6+months

Then I recompiled with easy apache with the safemode ticked.

edited the php.ini to make it safemode on.

Then recomplied with easyapache without safemode - runing off the safemode in php.

NAPPA

6. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Does phpinfo show safemode off ? does it show safemode at all?