The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same POP3 email download - multiple locations

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Kurieuo, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Kurieuo

Kurieuo Well-Known Member

I have someone who accesses two email accounts under their domain via POP3 in two different locations: 1/ Outlook 2003 on their personal laptop, and 2/ Outlook Express at work.

The work computer I am told is set to delete email 10 days after downloading. Their laptop is set to leave copies on the server.

The issue they are experiencing is that as new emails come in, they are apparently not being downloaded until several days after. They can see the new emails via webmail, however the new emails are not get immediately downloaded.

Does anyone know what to look for, or what might be going on? Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

2. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you can see it via webmail I would say it is in thier outlook settings and not a cPanel problem. I do something simliar where I have my laptop leave the messages on the server and the main computer deletes once it is downloaded and I have zero problems with it.

3. stdout

stdout Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What I suspect is happening is that when the laptop downloads the "new" emails, they get moved to the "cur" folder. The 'glitch' is occurring when the work/desktop computer attempts downloading emails and it doesn't see the new ones in "new".

Maybe set a cronjob up to move email out of cur/ into new/ every 30 minutes so that the work/main computer can download it as "new" and then remove it.
    ie. "mv $HOME/mail/domain.tld/username/cur/* $HOME/mail/domain.tld/username/new/"

This is just a thought to a workaround. It should do the trick though.

4. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I would wager you are correct, I hadn't thought about the /new versus the /cur directories.