The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same Subdomain and 2 Addon Domains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bazil749, Oct 1, 2005.

1. bazil749

bazil749 Registered

I'm having a bit of a problem. Basically I want to have the same subdomain on different addon domains.

Eg. Right now I have domain.com as my main domain and domain2.com set up as an addon. This creates a folder in public_html called "domain2" which is fine by me. What I want is this:

webmail.domain.com and
    webmail.domain2.com

When I add both those subdomains, it creates ONE webmail folder in public_html which both of them point to. Now I've been reading that subdomains can't go more than 2 directories deep so I'm getting public_html/domain2/webmail would not be possible. That's fine for me.

Here is my question:
    How would I set up webmail.domain.com to point to public_html/webmail and webmail.domain2.com to point to say public_html/webmail2?

Oh, I should have mentioned from the start. I'm on a paying host which uses cPanel. I don't have access to any apache files, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you in advance everyone.

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

This seems a little funny, as I would expect each new subdomain to point, www-wise, to it's own directory within the public_html directory. I'm not saying that is what should happen, as I've not actually tried this, however I'm just a bit surprised that it works the way you say. And not to say that you're wrong, I'm surprised at cPanel!
    If the creation of subdomains works as you say, then I don't see there being the ability to set things up through cPanel the way you would like to.

Therefore your only option would be to contact your hosting provider and ask them to manually change the apache config so that your subdomains behave as you want them to. If your host won't do this, there are plenty of others who will!