The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

saving files to computer [moved]

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by LMausey, Jun 9, 2005.

1. LMausey

LMausey Registered

saving files to computer

Can anyone tell me how to save the files to my computer. Now, I now all about the Save As button. I'm talking about how do I get my web site files and what exact files do I need to save to my computer to change hosts?

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

The most reliable method would be to use an FTP program and copy to your computer the entire contents of your public_html directory. Use Google, or a similar search engine, to learn about FTP.

If you get stuck, your current host should provide you with support on such matters.

However if you are moving from one cPanel provider to another, your current provider should be able to supply you with a full backup containing not only your website files but emails stored on the server, databases and all settings - too many to mention. This can be provided in a compressed format in the form of a single file that your new provider can then use to restore everything.

3. LMausey

LMausey Registered

Yeah, that would be great if my current host would respond to my e-mails. She seems to have left the country if you know what I mean!!! I purchased this web site from her and she is the host and now the bandwidth is exceeded and I can't even get on my web site and she won't return any of my e-mails. Sounds great, huh? And I am not the most computer savvy. I can get around a computer decently but all the fancy computer lingo is where I get lost.

4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you'd be able to FTP to retrieve your files if your bandwidth has been exceeded, but nevertheless I'll PM you with some options.