The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaling cPanel for resilience & performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lightbeing, Sep 2, 2010.

1. lightbeing

lightbeing Active Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I've got my first cPanel server up and running and as is common, the one server is running most things itself (web, mail, spam, name server, etc). It isn't running that many domains at present and runs smoothly at the moment.

With an eye to the future, what are the best ways to scale up to build in resilience/redundancy and maintain/improve performance?
  2. B12Org

B12Org Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2003
    Seattle Washington
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you want to make it high availability and make it a little bit more resiliant, I would suggest taking each of those features and moving it to a different server.

For example, take a server and make that one your shared mail server. Then make a shared mysql database server, two or three that are for dns (maybe the mail server and mysql server are dns servers 2 and 3 with a dedicated box for #1 for example)

If you want to get really technical you can also offload the http web server to several machines and put it behind a big ip and use rsync or puppet to manage and maintain the apache and virtual host configs accross each box.

All of this will take quite some work though as there is nothing that is supported or native configuration settings in cpanel to help you do this.