The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ScanAlert bot. How can we block this critter?

Discussion in 'Security' started by jols, Oct 8, 2007.

1. jols

jols Well-Known Member

The bot from ScanAlert.com is hitting our server very hard, causing all kinds of security alerts. I just want to block this thing. Anyone know a good method for doing this? Anyone know what their IP range is?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. jols

jols Well-Known Member

Yes, but they seem to be using hundreds of different IPs.

4. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    These scanalert people seem to be attempting to hack the server:

216.35.7.103 - support [08/18/2008:03:04:50 -0000] "GET /bigipgui/bigconf.cgi?command=bigcommand&CommandType=bigpipe HTTP/1.0" FAILED LOGIN cpaneld: user name not provided or invalid user
    216.35.7.103 - support [08/18/2008:03:04:50 -0000] "GET /bigipgui/bigconf.cgi?command=bigcommand&CommandType=bigpipe HTTP/1.0" FAILED LOGIN whostmgrd: login attempt to whm by a non-reseller/root
    Aug 18 13:04:53 secure pure-ftpd: (?@216.35.7.103) [WARNING] Authentication failed for user [NULL]
    216.35.7.103 - support [08/18/2008:03:04:51 -0000] "GET /bigipgui/bigconf.cgi?command=bigcommand&CommandType=bigpipe HTTP/1.0" FAILED LOGIN webmaild: user password hash is missing from system (user probably does not exist)
    216.35.7.103 - admin [08/18/2008:03:05:05 -0000] "GET / HTTP/1.0" FAILED LOGIN cpaneld: user name not provided or invalid user
    216.35.7.103 - admin [08/18/2008:03:05:05 -0000] "GET / HTTP/1.0" FAILED LOGIN whostmgrd: login attempt to whm by a non-reseller/root

I'm not paying for scanning so i want to ban them too!

5. slim

slim Well-Known Member

Scanalert are probably scanning your server because one of your clients has paid them for the HackerSafe logo. Scanalert will scan your box to ensure that it passes the HackerSafe logo requirements. The scanning includes tests for many known exploits. If you block it from scanning your machines then the hackersafe test will fail and your client will be upset :eek:

6. jols

jols Well-Known Member

I could imagine that they do port scans and the like, looking for unusual activity on certain ports, that could indicate so sort of hacked process, etc. on the server; but "FAILED LOGIN" attempts???

Leaves me wondering about the possibility of crackers faking the Scanalert headers just so host masters will say, "Oh we should not block them, that's only Scanalert."

7. rs-freddo

rs-freddo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    my firewall blocks them anyway. Too bad for them!

8. alwaysweb

alwaysweb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Old thread, I know. We also have seen ScanAlert pound sites on our servers from time to time. It would be nice if they would throttle their scans, at least!

But, if anyone has this issue and is searching... You can go to:

McAfee Secure

and get a list of all the IP addresses used by McAfee ScanAlert and do what you want with that information. *ahem, block* :)

9. alwaysweb

alwaysweb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In case this is helpful to anyone, here is a one-liner we use CSF and build a block file for ScanAlert's network blocks:

wget -q -O- http://www.mcafeesecure.com/help/ScanIps.csv | awk 'NR < 4 { next } { print }' | cut -d"," -f2 | replace '"' '' -- | sort -n > /etc/csf/csf.denyscanalert; service csf restart

To include these blocks in CSF, add this to /etc/csf.deny :

Include /etc/csf/csf.denyscanalert

and restart csf: service csf restart