AlexV.

Jun 15, 2006
Running the following two scripts should address this issue:
/scripts/check_cpanel_apache_aliases
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/apache_conf_distiller

The check_cpanel_apache_aliases utilizes the /usr/local/cpanel/APACHE_CONFIG file to properly add the necessary ScriptAliases in this particular case ScriptAlias /scgi-bin /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/scgiwrap

The virtualhost scgi script alias entries should not be necessary, as it is inherited from the main apache configuration settings.

Let me know if this solution works for you.

4u123

PartnerNOC
Jan 2, 2006
I know what it is Ken. That wasnt my question. I want to know why it is installed on my servers when I didnt choose to install it.

I've worked this out now anyway.

It would appear that scgi is the "simple cgi wrapper" option available in the cgi center in cpanel. I didnt know this before. I am guessing that this is included for servers that are not using suexec so that the customer can run scripts under their own username? Those using suexec dont need to have this available in the interface at all as it would serve no purpose. Is this correct ?

Last edited:

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I know what it is Ken. That wasnt my question. I want to know why it is installed on my servers when I didnt choose to install it.

I've worked this out now anyway.

It would appear that scgi is the "simple cgi wrapper" option available in the cgi center in cpanel. I didnt know this before. I am guessing that this is included for servers that are not using suexec so that the customer can run scripts under their own username? Those using suexec dont need to have this available in the interface at all as it would serve no purpose. Is this correct ?
Sorry. I misread your question.

it comes as part of the default cPanel install. Your understanding of it is correct, it runs the script as the user:group and is incompatible with suExec. In fact, enabling suExec in WHM should prevent SCGI from working.

4u123

PartnerNOC
Jan 2, 2006
Sorry. I misread your question.

it comes as part of the default cPanel install. Your understanding of it is correct, it runs the script as the user:group and is incompatible with suExec. In fact, enabling suExec in WHM should prevent SCGI from working.
Enabling suexec doesnt prevent scgi from working. Weve been using suexec ever since we started using cpanel - probably about 6 years now and only recently have I had customers saying scgi doesnt work. Its something in ea3 that has caused the recent problem.

It hasnt been clear (not to me anyway) that the "simple cgi wrapper" in the cgi center is what implements scgi and creates an scgi-bin folder. Clearly it is pointless having it enabled if suexec is also enabled but I dont think many people will be aware of that. It seems obvious but it isnt.

Are there people who dont use suexec ?