The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

script to import users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sitemouse, Apr 17, 2003.

1. sitemouse

sitemouse Member

We need to move our existing users/domains into cpanel (800+ users and more domains) - is there a script to automate this process? What are our options?

2. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

WHM has scripts for this that will import from some servers. You might check there to see if that will work for you.

3. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

What control panel are you importing them from? The script to import from Ensim doesn't seem to work.

4. Nico

Nico Well-Known Member

I have imported from a Plesk server. If it's not working for you submit a support ticket and see if Cpanel support can help out with that problem.

5. rnh

rnh Well-Known Member

I was just reading through the message boards at RackShack and I think that the problem is that it doesn't work with Root Login disabled on Ensim even if you provide the admin name and password because the script fails when it attempts to chown it's script.

So I'm thinking that the script is logging in to my server and not SU -ing like it is supposed to, and thus not being able to chown the files that it needs to on the remote server.

However there was no sign of server B ever even logging into server A on server A so I don't know what's going on.

I have been meaning to file a trouble ticket it on it but I've been filing them like crazy lately and moving the sites over to the new server isn't high on my priority list yet as I'm still getting the hang of the new control panel, but I'll do it soon.

Either way I don't really trust the transfer script that much, but if I talk to someone else that's done the same transfer succesfully (I'm going from Ensim 3.1.10 to FreeBSD w/ Cpanel) I'll probably be a lot more comfortable with it. Otherwise I'll just transfer my sites over manually.

Not too much fun though for a host like sitemouse that has to transfer 800+ users and domains, so hopefully the transfer script works for them.

6. TheCrazyHostGuy

We used the WHM import users script from a Cpanel server to a New Cpanel server and the script works great

Except

When it encountered users that had the same user name!

It seemed to be a million times easier to deal with a few websites that were not working well due to weird errors and duplicate usernames that to move the number of sites we had to move (around 3000) !!!

One thing to think about when you make the move though... no matter what method you use!

You should consider Notifying the customers first... just give them the heads up... because they have a tendency to get pissed off if they have done updates on the oldserver and they suddenly can not see them on the new server... and oddly enough a lot of people do updates on the server but don't have a working copy on their own machines...!

Good luck to you... I think you should have good sucess with the built in WHM scripts..!!!

James

7. sitemouse

sitemouse Member

Thanks James, that's good advice.