The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Script to update Multi-Site SSL Cert for domains?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Nash1, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Nash1

Nash1 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I use a InCommon Multi Domain SSL Certificate that I update as we add new sites. It is very tedious to manually install the new SSL Cert for each of the (58 so far) domains in WHM. Is there any way to script the install of the updated Multi Domain SSL Cert? Am I replacing the wrong SSL Cert file for WHM's Apache?

What I'm doing right now is copying over the latest cert file under /var/cpanel/ssl/installed/certs with the updated SSL Cert. Then I spend a long time in WHM clicking away adding in the new Cert to all the domains.

Any advice on how to make the Multi Domain SSL Cert replacement less painful would be appreciated. Before I switched to WHM/cPanel, I simply replaced the SSL Cert Apache used and added the new domains to httpd-ssl.conf. Restart Apache and done.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You might be able to utilize a hook that automatically installs the certificate after a domain name is created. Could you verify if these domain names are added as new cPanel accounts, or as addon domain names?

Thank you.

3. Nash1

Nash1 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    All these domains are individual cPanel accounts. What is the correct way to replace a renewed SSL Cert? Can it be done via the command line?
    cPanel_SSL_Hosts.png

I've also read that it might make more sense to simply generate individual InCommon SSL Certs for each domain. It should not matter that they all are using the same IP address. This would avoid the "100" domain limitation of a Multi Domain SSL Certificate. Our university has a contract with InCommon, so the cost of 100 individual SSL Certs vs one Multi Domain SSL Cert is not an issue. I

Thanks.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator