/scripts/convertemails [merged]

Aldweb

Feb 18, 2004
/scripts/convertemails

I updated the cpanel for release, after that a process that is consuming the load appeared... /usr/bin/perl /scripts/convertemails, user cpanel...some knows as doing for that script not to be active and so that it serves

Last edited:

DIYHosting

Nov 27, 2003
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
I tried upgrading 3 different servers to the release build and they all got stuck at 70% for hours at the newemails process and were building for a couple hours until I just closed the browser.

the convertemails process is running and using major load (like jumped up to 5) but I haven't noticed much slowdown at least.

I think something is wrong with the upgrade process for this release build.

cretu

Jul 21, 2002
Hi,

I am stuck at the same point. Is it safe to stop the process?

Cretu

phinsup

Jun 25, 2003
convertemails hanging up latest update

Been sitting there with process convertemails running for an hour or so, what is it? And what should I do about it?

Aldweb

Feb 18, 2004
I stopped the process of the user cpanel with the command:
kill -9 `Ps -aux | grep ^cpanel | tr -s "" | cut -d " " -f2 `
and the load lowered

cbwass

Mar 29, 2002
Had four servers all the same, rebooted and they seem OK now. Must be a problem with the daily update.

hbouma

Jun 8, 2002
Hi,

I ran into this problem today as well. Basically, his script is written to go through all the accounts on the server and do something to each one. The problem is that it uses the /etc/passwrd file for the account list and the code causes the cpanel 'user' to make a false match (i.e. cPanel thinks it should do 'covertemails' on /usr/local/cpanel account as well). Because its not really a cPanel account, the script locks up at that point.

I was able to circumvent the problem by making the following check in the code pass:

if (-e "$homedir/etc/.imapv4cp5c" && ! $forcecheck) { next; }

So if you create the file /usr/local/cpanel/etc/.imapv4cp5c, convertemails will skp over the cpanel account thinking its already been converted and it should process the rest of the users and complete.

Or at least that is what it did for me.

I hope this helps!

Hal

protocol

PartnerNOC
Apr 13, 2004
Thanks, are you saying just create /usr/local/cpanel/etc/.imapv4cp5c ? Did you need to kill and re-run covertemails? As it still seems to be stuck.

Thanks again

hbouma

Jun 8, 2002
Hi,

Yeah, you still need to kill the script if its running, but creating that file will let it complete each time its ran after that. You can test if the fix works by running /scripts/convertemails manually as well.

Hal

cbwass

Mar 29, 2002
What is the command I need to 'create the file /usr/local/cpanel/etc/.imapv4cp5c'

cbwass

Mar 29, 2002
Thanks Chirpy, upcp is running OK now. Is this an error from the last Cpanel update? It was causing me problems when trying to add domain pointeres etc.

Last edited:

Wallaby

Aug 15, 2001
Killing the existing processes ("kill -9 nnnnn" where nnnnn is the PID, get it from running "top") and then the touch command above did the job for us.

Thanks chirpy and others!

knipper

Sep 4, 2001
me too

It looked liked this process hung up the overnight build. About two mins after killing the process, and creating the file my cPanel Layer 2 install completed message popped up via shell.

Pinoywh

Feb 4, 2005
I'm installing cpanel in a fresh Centos and it hungs up for hours and then I check on top, and this script is running eating up 99.9 of cpu. I kill and rebooted the server and tried installing again but now it hungs up on Apache build...

What do you think we can do?

jrehmer

Apr 10, 2003
Denver, CO
chirpy said:
Did you create the file as directed in the preceding threads?
Why should we have to create this file so that it skips this script? Shouldn't Cpanel have already tested this out, OBVIOUSLY it is a big problem for a lot of people.

I don't know why we always settle for these stupid fixes when Cpanel should have never released this in the first place - especially on the RELEASE build.