/scripts/convertemails [merged]

chirpy

Verifed Vendor
Jun 15, 2002
Go on, have a guess
jrehmer said:
Why should we have to create this file so that it skips this script?
Because it is a workaround until the problem is fixed by cPanel. Hav you checked that it has been logged as a bug in bugzilla? If not, then you should log it either there or as a support ticket with cPanel if you don't want to act on th help being offered. You cannot expect software to be bug free, that's unrealistic - it simply never ever happens and never will.

cPanelKyle

Senior Technical Analyst
Staff member
Feb 10, 2003
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Just FYI;

10.2.0 (build 11) - EDGE Tree Linux i686 Fri Apr 29 12:38:36 2005

Prevent convertemails from hanging when there are symlinks in /usr

If you aren't running EDGE and this problem is happening, you can run killall convertemails which will allow the update to resume.

C

cPanelBilly

The issue is caused by a bug in some perl versions. The new edge includes code to work around the code, this however is why we were unable to detect the error on our test machines.

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
cPanelBilly said:
The issue is caused by a bug in some perl versions. The new edge includes code to work around the code, this however is why we were unable to detect the error on our test machines.

You may need to

killall convertemails
rm -f /scripts/convertemails
/scripts/upcp

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
So the bug was introduced to Release, but the fix is only in Edge?

Seems backwards to me.

Please put this in the release tree since that is where the bug is. With the number of servers that I have to take care of, switching them all ofver to Edge for this is not palatable.

Miraenda

Jul 28, 2004
Coralville, Iowa USA
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you hbouma for posting how to correct this as just killing the processes wouldn't be a long-term fix, while yours is very elegant due to its simplicity. These processes almost caused my server to crash today :(

vnsg

Registered
Apr 30, 2005
cpanelnick said:
You may need to

killall convertemails
/scripts/upcp
Please clearly state the ssh command step by step as i am a newbie,thanks

jdarow

PartnerNOC
May 30, 2003
Michigan, US
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Nick

Nick,

First, I have been using cPanel exclusively for along time and continue to praise your software by recommending to all.

Now, can you please enlighten me how it's possible for this to be introduced in the release version and only fixed in the edge?

Please do explain this and help me determine (and everyone else) the best version of cpanel to run on a production environment where performance is critical.

Thanks again!

doiz

Jan 11, 2004
If I already did
touch /usr/local/cpanel/etc/.imapv4cp5c
do I still need to
my load seems to be fine though

C

cPanelBilly

jdarow said:
Nick,

First, I have been using cPanel exclusively for along time and continue to praise your software by recommending to all.

Now, can you please enlighten me how it's possible for this to be introduced in the release version and only fixed in the edge?

Please do explain this and help me determine (and everyone else) the best version of cpanel to run on a production environment where performance is critical.

Thanks again!
The patch is all the way into release and has been.

spiff06

Jan 17, 2004
In case someone out there is monitoring the load during the update:

A few seconds after /scripts/upcp starts running, convertemails pops up in top processes and eats up all available CPU; the update appears to be stuck at 10%. That's normal. The update will kick in again after a while and the evil process will disappear...

My server load went up to 8 during this episode. Some heat.

cPanelNick

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 9, 2015
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
jdarow said:
Nick,

Thanks again!

The best version to run in a production env, is always STABLE.