The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/scripts/mailperm AND 'incorect (sic) mode on mailbox'

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by spaceman, Aug 28, 2003.

1. spaceman

spaceman Well-Known Member

Whilst investigating a problem with one of my clients not being able to send mail, I've just run this script to fix up any incorrect mailbox permissions:

/scripts/mailperm

It found about 20 mailbox files with incorrect permissions (or 'modes' as the error message called them) and fixed them.

My question: how the $#@! does a mailbox file get the wrong permissions if they've been created and maintained via cpanel? All I can think of is that perhaps the use of a webmail application like SquirrelMail can affect the permissions?

Thanks for your comments.

P.S. if nothing else, 'incorect' should be spelt 'incorrect' in the error messages that come back when running this script :)

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#1 spaceman, Aug 28, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  2. mickeymouse

mickeymouse Well-Known Member

RE: /scripts/mailperm AND

Dear spaceman,

Your problem might be related to the security vulnerability in Redhat. Please go through the following link for detailed information regarding this and for the solution.

http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/redhat_advisory-2878.html

Regards,

3. spaceman

Thanks for your suggestion- we've just checked our version of RH against the latest version recommended in the advisory and it would appear that we are fully up-to-date already.

4. Jemshi

Jemshi Well-Known Member

never found in any other control panel, but cpanel often has this problem - files and folders' permissions and ownerships going wrong - not sure how it happens. :-(

I dont think its a problem with redhat. If it was, then it should have been there for other control panels also.

5. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

If you use imp or squirrel, or allow imap directly, the imap daemon creates the permissions, and doesn't follow cpanel's conventions, that would be one case where wrong permissions could be assigned. An imap folder is considered a "mailbox" by the mailperm script, that much is clear to me.
    Account transfers/restore of old/other machine backups might also cause wrong ownership...
    Interrupted creation of accounts(hitting back at the wrong moment in whm/cpanel...
    There are lots of cases where this might happen, I'm glad for the fix, myself... Now the number of scripts to fix "config" files, now that worries me...

6. spaceman

Thanks for your comments, perlchild. Yes, we've also come to the conclusion that the POP account permissions are being changed by webmail access.

Whether the permissions set by Cpanel have the potential to conflict with the permissions set by Squirrelmail, I don't know.

7. perlchild

In my experience, the default permissions by squirrelmail are too broad, and running mailperl secures the mailboxes somewhat

8. Jemshi

Jemshi Well-Known Member

I prefer using my small script to correct problems with inbox permissions, ownerships, links etc.

/scripts/mailperm breaks things if the domain's mx is set as outside server. The script adds the domain to /etc/localdomains which prevents mail delivery to the outside server for this domain :-(

9. JBapt

JBapt Active Member

Hi!

dont know if i solved it but looks like it. Also had a lot of mailboxes incorrect modes but changed all the client outlook configs to use the ip of the server instead of the address (mail.clientdomain.com).

So far so good, but if i get any trouble i will post it.

10. perlchild

Another thread on this forum mentions that adding the domain to /etc/remotedomains might prevent this from happening with recent installs of cpanel(not sure the version required)