The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/scripts/mysql out of mirrors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IberHosting, Apr 1, 2006.

1. IberHosting

IberHosting Well-Known Member

Hello,

Is anyone experiencing any mirrors problems while uprgading mysql with /scripts/mysqlup ?

Thanks!

2. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

I had the same problem but eventually the install did complete. Also check that you have Wget enabled.

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I've had severe problems with the MySQL mirrors that cPanel uses and have had to resort to installing/upgrading MySQL by hand in the last few days.

4. fleksi

fleksi Well-Known Member

Is it safe to upgrade MySQL manually (by hand) ? How to do that?

-FL-

5. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    MySQL 4.0 seems to be a problem now that is disappearing off mirrors. Updating to 4.1 (or 5.x with BETA/EDGE) is probably the best solution.

MySQL has all but given up on the 4.0 stuff.

6. fleksi

fleksi Well-Known Member

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The MySQL upgrade script to v5 in EDGE is completely broken ;) I've had to hack it by hand to get it working - the embed rpm for v5 isn't on the mirrors and so the whole install loops and then dies. I've also found that the version of 4.1 in WHM is also missing from nearly all the mirrors.

8. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider

What kinda of error did you get (I'm asking after being unable to get it to break)?

9. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

In EDGE (from memory - I know I should have logged a bugzilla entry) mysqlup tried to look for the v5 rpms on httpupdate.cpanel.net in a directory that did not exist for RHE (it was looking in a dir called redhat_enterprise IIRC). Having failed to find the rpms on the cpanel.net server it then went off to find them on the mysql mirrors and failed miserably because none of them had the embed rpm.

For the v4 rpms, IIRC, it checked the mirrors and was looking for 4.1.14 which wasn't on the mirrors (needed 4.1.18).

I'll log the issue properly when I come across it next.

#9 chirpy, Apr 3, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  10. gemby

gemby Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have problem that mysqlup is looking for 4.1.13 and there is no 4.1.13 on mirrors any more, i checked few manualy. I am running latest stable.

11. gemby

gemby Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I made bugzilla entry for it.

12. gemby

gemby Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  13. dropby23

dropby23 Well-Known Member

cant we use anymore the mysql 4.0 rpms

14. gemby

gemby Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I am analizing that thing with mysql today, and now i am apsolutly sure that this thing is going on from at least friday afternoon (morning ins US).

15. gemby

gemby Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Cpanel guys, shame on you! Nobody is looking bugzilla for whole day, and Nick is only made a quick pick in forum this morning. Shame on you, you have this error from last week.

Ok, here is quick and dirty fix......

1. on one of your sites make file called version

# cd public_html
    # pico version
    And paste folowing inside:

BETA,EDGE,CURRENT,RELEASE,STABLE,DNSONLY:mysql50:5.0.18:0::shared,shared-compat,devel,embedded,client,bench,server,shared
    BETA,EDGE,CURRENT,RELEASE,STABLE,DNSONLY:mysql50-64:5.0.18:0.glibc23::shared,shared-compat,devel,embedded,client,bench,server,shared
    BETA,EDGE,CURRENT,RELEASE,STABLE,DNSONLY:mysql40:4.0.25:0::shared,shared-compat,devel,embedded,client,bench,server,shared
    UNSTABLE:mysql40:4.0.24:0::shared,shared-compat,devel,embedded,client,bench,server,shared
    STABLE,DNSONLY:mysql41:4.1.18:0::shared,devel,embedded,client,bench,server,shared
    RELEASE,CURRENT,BETA,EDGE:mysql41:4.1.14:0::shared,devel,embedded,client,bench,server,shared
    UNSTABLE:mysql41:4.1.11:0::shared,devel,embedded,client,bench,server,shared
    BETA,EDGE,CURRENT,RELEASE,STABLE,DNSONLY:mysql40-64:4.0.25:0::shared,devel,embedded,client,bench,server,shared
    UNSTABLE:mysql40-64:4.0.24:0::shared,devel,embedded,client,bench,server,shared
    STABLE,DNSONLY:mysql41-64:4.1.13:0.glibc23::shared,devel,embedded,client,bench,server,shared
    RELEASE,CURRENT,BETA,EDGE:mysql41-64:4.1.14:0.glibc23::shared,devel,embedded,client,bench,server,shared
    UNSTABLE:mysql41-64:4.1.11:0.glibc23::shared,devel,embedded,client,bench,server,shared

Look for line that starts with STABLE,DNSONLY and version of mysql, i put 4.1.18 because it is more then one month old and it is ok for me. I am aware that this version is not as stable as 4.1.13 which is so stable so it is not on mirrors any more, but this is risk i am willing to take.

Then....
    pico /scripts/cPpkgversions.pm

and change updates.cpanel.net in url to yourdomain.com in line which contains

my @VERINFO = split(/\n/,httpreq("updates.cpanel.net","/${pv}install/version"))

Then run:
    # rm -rf /root/.cpmysqlrpm
    # /scripts/mysqlup
    After it finshes and says that mysql is started ok

# touch /etc/mysqlupdisable
    # /scripts/perlinstaller --force DBD::mysql
    # /scripts/perlinstaller --force List::Util

And put back updates.cpanel.net instead of yourdomain.com in

# /scripts/cPpkgversions.pm

And i have succesfuly upgraded mysql in cpanel!

Please, this is testing force upgrade, i am not sure if i have broke something, but so far everything is ok.

#15 gemby, Apr 3, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2006
  16. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm not sure if my problem is related to this or not. I'm trying to upgrade one of our servers from MySQL 4.0 to MySQL 4.1. When I do the mysqlup (either from WHM or command line) it just seems like it gets caught up in a loop and continually downloads the MySQL-shared-4.1.18-0.i386.rpm file. I have done some upgrades to MySQL 4.1, but I do not remember them ever taking this long to complete. I'm just wondering if this is related to this thread. I do see some lines such as:

Ping:31.772 Testing connection speed to mysql.247available.com using wget...test failed...Done
    Ping:52.774 Testing connection speed to mysql.mirror.cygnal.ca using wget...test failed...Done
    Ping:57.147 Testing connection speed to www.maxmind.com using wget...test failed...Done
    Ping:57.999 Testing connection speed to mysql.fasterline.net using wget...test failed...Done
    Ping:81.036 Testing connection speed to www.unixsoft.org using wget...test failed...Done
    Ping:98.069 Testing connection speed to mysql.mirror.widexs.nl using wget...test failed...Done
    Ping:108.791 Testing connection speed to gnu.kookel.org using wget...test failed...Done

Does the solution that gemby posted work without issues? No offense to gemby, and I really appreciate sharing your fix with us, but my upgrade to MySQL 4.1 is not that critical (not yet anyway) so I would prefer to wait and see if a CPanel fix will become available. If one does not present itself and if nobody notices any problems with the gemby fix, then I will probably give it a try.

17. goyo

goyo Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

It's still not fixed for more than a month now (download paths ar wrong for red-hat enterperise 4 64 bit) :mad: :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help Gemby!