The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/scripts/upcp --force stops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bsasninja, Aug 17, 2010.

1. bsasninja

bsasninja Well-Known Member

I´ve ran /scripts/upcp --force and the process stops here:

perlmods
    perlmods complete

mysqlcleanup
    mysqlcleanup complete

and nothing else comes out

on the process list I see that they are sleeping

root 6065 0.0 0.1 102504 8412 pts/0 S+ 18:12 0:00 cPanel Update (upcp) - Master
    root 6079 0.0 0.1 104700 8112 ? Ss 18:12 0:00 cPanel Update (upcp) - Slave
    root 6511 0.1 0.0 33752 4764 ? S 18:12 0:00 /usr/bin/perl /var/cpanel/perl/installer

I ran it again and stops right there? Should I wait still it ends??

Thanks

2. bsasninja

bsasninja Well-Known Member

when I enter to WHM shows the latest release version an also centos has been updated from 5.4 to 5.5.
    Also evertything is running fine, the only that I have doubt is with the above process.

3. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I would allow more time for the cPanel update (upcp) processes to complete. How much time has passed since you started the cPanel update? If you believe there is no activity occurring or if you suspect a problem you are welcome to submit a support request so that we may examine the situation.

4. prashant_ohol

prashant_ohol Active Member

Hey,

Edited by cPanel Staff:

Restarting or rebooting a server is not recommended to stop a cPanel update (upcp) process. If properly investigated and diagnosed, an experienced system administrator may use normal OS-provided tools to terminate processes, such as by using the command-line utility "kill" via console or root SSH access. Please see the following post for further clarification and a cautionary warning: cPanel Forums - View Single Post - /scripts/upcp --force stops

Prashant

#4 prashant_ohol, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2010
  5. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Do not reboot only to kill processes without prior investigation and proper diagnosis

Cautionary Warning: Please do not restart or reboot the system merely because there is a running cPanel update (upcp) process; restarting the system should not be necessary. To ensure an issue is corrected the difficulty should be properly investigated and analyzed to allow for an accurate diagnosis.

I know of only a few rare circumstances where there may be a certain process that cannot be killed easily or terminated through normal methods, if I recall correctly once instance was related to file system disk quotas and specific to the OS-vendor-provided "repquota" utility, and only then -- if properly diagnosed -- may an issue necessitate a system restart, but I have never encountered an instance where a cPanel update (upcp) process could not be easily terminated with minimal effort (such as by using "kill" via console or root SSH access).

#5 cPanelDon, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010