The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/scripts/upcp no email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by yayyo, May 20, 2009.

1. yayyo

yayyo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I normally receive the /scripts/upcp log via email, but last night it failed. This has happened a few times over the past year or so.

(Sorry, I *know* that this issue has been discussed before but I failed to find it with repeated searches)

If anyone knows where a solution topic/post lies, please could they give me the URL (plus how you found it :confused:).

Otherwise, I may have narrowed down the problem, or this may be a red-herring, but I am perl-ically-challenged and having just "pulled an all-nighter" on my regular work, I would really appreciate any feedback from the Guru's out there.

So, I first checked /var/log/exim_mainlog - found the two previous day's email entries but none for last night.

# cat /var/run/upcp.pid shows two process id's but neither are still running (ps ax).

# crontab -l shows that the upcp on this server should run at 00:34 daily

# less /var/log/cron and /00:34 finds:-
    :eek: May 20 00:36:01 mail crond[5204]: (root) RELOAD (cron/root) - that could be Trouble (with a capital "T") - Reloading crontabs when upcp has only been running for just over a minute? Looks "dodgy" to me.

Who's messing with root's crontab? Well another clue comes from http://configserver.com 's csf/lfd (thanks Chirpy!)

lfd tells me by email that a whole bunch of files got modified, including exim. http://changelog.cpanel.net/?tree=RELEASE&revision=36167 confirms that exim was updated last night.

the hunt goes on...

# grep 'crontab -l' /scripts/*
    /scripts/bupcp:mad:CT=split(/\n/,`crontab -l`);
    /scripts/dnsqueuecron:my $crontab = `/usr/bin/crontab -l`;
    /scripts/eximcron:my(@CRONTAB) = split(/\n/, `/usr/bin/crontab -l`);

Three suspects?

My guess is /scripts/eximcron (called from /scripts/buildeximconf )

But it is many hours since I last slept. I already enlarged the font in Firefox so that I could see the screen to post this :rolleyes:

I hope I haven't wasted anyone's time (including mine :D )

If this post *does* lead to an accurate bug report - please feel free to file it at https://tickets.cpanel.net/submit/index.cgi?reqtype=tickets or wherever bug reports are meant to be sent.

:)
    Thanks for reading,
    Marty

p.s. I have run /scripts/upcp 2>&1 | less

and it ran OK. I'm more concerned about *why* this issue occasionally occurs.

2. nicklas

nicklas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry to ask you, but did you find the solution, i have same problem.

Thanks

3. yayyo

yayyo Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Nicklas,

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately I never did get to the bottom of it, the following day I got the upcp email as usual.

All that techno-babble in my first post was just my attempt at documenting the research that I had done, with a tentative conclusion that it was an exim update that may have caused the issue.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Good Luck!
    Marty

4. nicklas

nicklas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks anyway for your reply.