The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

/scripts/upcp taking ages . . . safe to quit and try again?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by webignition, Apr 29, 2005.

1. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

WHM: 10.1.0
    Cpanel: 10.2.0-R3

Noticing the release of 10.2.0-RELEASE_10 I thought I'd update by running /scripts/upcp.

The whole update process has never previously taken more than about 10 - 15 minutes on a really bad day. Now admittedly how long it takes for /scripts/upcp to complete depends entirely on how much it has to update and so one can't really put a time scale on such things.

However /scripts/upcp has currently been running for well over an hour, probably approaching one and a half hours.

Everything has so far gone smoothly with no sign of errors, however it has been stuck on 70% complete for the majority of the time, probably about one hour. I can tell from the Putty window that /scripts/upcp is still outputting and adding successive lines of dots so I can be sure that it hasn't failed completely.

Nevertheless the CPU load as shown through WHM has been sitting around 1.00 for a good 45 minutes. The server itself is generally quite quiet with the server load rarely above 0.20 and when /scripts/upcp does its thing I rarely see the server load peak above 0.60.

As it is taking much much longer than normal for /scripts/upcp to complete and as it is pushing the server load up more than it has ever done, and happily keeping it there, I'm getting concerned that something might not be working correctly.

One possible problem might be that, for some reason quite beyond me, I forgot to run /scripts/updatenow before running /scripts/upcp.

What I would like to know is whether it is safe to try and stop /scripts/upcp and possibly try again. What are the chances of breaking everything if /scripts/upcp is interrupted?

Would I be better letting it run its course and hope for the best, and if so and if this were to keep going for hours more what might be the best course of action?

I understand that these are somewhat vague questions, but I'm at a bit of a loss here and any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Excellent Chirpy - my forum searching skills just aren't up to it today!