The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sdb1 backup full

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by czerdrill, Nov 8, 2011.

1. czerdrill

czerdrill Well-Known Member

I'm getting messages that /dev/sdb1 is full and when i run df -h i see that is indeed the case. Question is how do I know what's in that partition and why it's getting full? My cron jobs don't show any script that would write to that partition...thanks in advance!

2. czerdrill

Just an update, its the whm backup configuration that's writing to /sdb1. So I'm just a little confused on the settings there. If I select Daily as the Backup Interval, what would happen if I uncheck Monthly and Weekly for retention. Just confused on what those settings do...

3. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you only want daily backup retention, then you could uncheck having weekly and monthly backups to not save that information. You would have to clear out the weekly and monthly folders that had been saved in /backup/cpbackup/ location (or whatever path you have the backups stored).

4. czerdrill

Ok so the "weekly" and "monthly" is just a conglomeration of all the daily's? Meaning if I have Daily as the Interval and Daily as the Retention, I will have a daily backup, and a daily backup only right? I won't be able to roll back to last week? I think the safest thing would be to check Daily and Weekly and just uncheck and delete monthly. Does that sound about correct?

And the path is the "Backup Destination" on that page right?

5. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You have it correct that if you don't have weekly enabled, you cannot roll back to a week ago only to the daily backup. If you prefer to have weekly and daily and not retain or backup monthly to save space, then that would work as well provided how much space is needed in that partition for those backups.

The path would be the Backup Destination with cpbackup as part of the path, so it is normally /backup/cpbackup/monthly as an example.

6. czerdrill

Excellent thanks!

7. czerdrill

I'm still a little confused here. I disabled monthly retention, and cleared out the /monthly folder, and regained space. However, today its 100% full again. when you select Daily as the interval, and Daily and Weekly as the retention is the daily stuff overwritten each day? Or added on top? Just not understanding why I'm out of space again when /monthly was cleared out?

8. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Daily would be overwritten each day. Have you checked your user accounts? Is there one account that is using an excessive amount of space possibly? WHM > List Accounts will show the disk usage for each cPanel account.

9. czerdrill

Yes I've checked that and the highest user (after the main account) is only using 200MB, so its definitely something with the backups (plus the sdb1 is only used for backups and backups are the only thing written there). i verified that "monthly" folder is still empty and it is, so I can't figure out why it filled up again like that...

10. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you open up a ticket using WHM > Support Center > Contact cPanel or using the link in my signature for us to check the disk space usage for it?