SeanK

Registered
Dec 5, 2005
Cpanel use to have a script or program that allowed users to submit there domian name to a bunch of different Search Engines. I am wondering if it still has that or did they get rid of it

SeanK

Registered
Dec 5, 2005
does anyone have an idea on how to submit my url then? It's for a community site and i don't have the 500 bucks that i see you need to post it on a Search Engine!

webignition

Jan 22, 2005
SeanK said:
does anyone have an idea on how to submit my url then? It's for a community site and i don't have the 500 bucks that i see you need to post it on a Search Engine!
There would be two basic options:

1) Visit the website of each search engine in which you are interested and check their submission requirements and follow them

or

2) Triple-ensure that your website is fully standards-compliant and has a sematically logical flow, ensure that you have set up a decent robots.txt in your document root and get your site linked to from anywhere that might possibly have a search engine crawling past it and then just wait for the search engines to find you.

I prefer the latter due to it forcing accessible standards-compliant designs (since good accessibility equals good search engine optimisation), and is generally good practice.

SeanK

Registered
Dec 5, 2005
what is this robots.txt and where can i learn the propper info to put in it?

hergy80

Sep 4, 2004
You can try services like addme.com, but most search engines find you (and index you) based on how other sites are linking to you as well, so don't expect a submission to a search engine to get you very far.

You should google for search engine optimization and look into tip and techniques to help.

webignition

Jan 22, 2005
SeanK said:
what is this robots.txt and where can i learn the propper info to put in it?
It's a file that sites in your document root (i.e. http://www.example/com/robots.txt) and which is frequently requested by search engine bots.

The file defines rules regarding which bots are/aren't allowed to index the site and which files/directories bot's shouldn't index. Search engine bots tend to fare better if there is a robots.txt file for them to follow.

For more info, take a look at: http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html