The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second nameserver on different server: advantages?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mistermartin75, Oct 24, 2009.

1. mistermartin75

Hi,

This may be an obvious question, but from what I'm reading all over here I'm getting confused.

What is the exact advantage to put ns2 on a different server and not just ns1 and ns2 on one server? If you have just on cPanel server, would a second server for DNS be necessary or will you be fine with just the one server?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. d_t

d_t Well-Known Member

If you put ns2 on a distinct server, whem first server is down, DNS will continue to work. Otherwise, domain names won't resolve to IPs and because of DNS caching, users won't be able to access sites for a long time, even if first server is back online. Is also recommended to keep DNS servers in distinct geographic areas or at least in distinct networks.

3. Vinayak

Vinayak Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    When you have all the NS on the same server, and it goes down, incoming emails will bounce back to the sender.

If your NS are on different machines, and the main server goes down, email will remain in queue on the sending server for some time (48 to 72 hours), once the main server is back online those email will be delivered as normal.

4. mistermartin75

OK, thanks again for clarifying this. It is what I thought it were, though some threads here, where people were told they wouldn't need a secondary DNS, got me all confused :).