The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

second networkcard for a backup net

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CoolMike, Nov 15, 2005.

1. CoolMike

CoolMike Well-Known Member

Hi

We have 16 servers at the moment and use the cpanel backup, to create the backupfiles on a second harddisk. Additionaly we copy all the backupfiles to a NAS server once a day. Now we realized, that we genereate a lot of traffic in our lan because of this.

Now we are thinking implementing a second LAN with 192.168.1.x IP addresses. For this we will put a second Networkcard in our servers and give this IP address.

My question is, is this possible? Will Cpanel have a problem when there is a second networkcard with a internal ip address?

Or is there a bether solution?

Thanks
    Michael

2. xyzed

xyzed Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi Michael

cPanel WON'T have any problem. We do this with all our servers using internal IP's to switches then to NAS/backup servers.

Just don't accidently save eth1 as eth0 ;-)

3. CoolMike

Hi

Thanks for your answer, so that's the way we will go. May I ask you, what kind of backup solution you have? Because I realized, that our NAS is very busy, just because I copy from a few servers each 10-15GB data.

Thanks
    Michael

4. xyzed

xyzed Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi Michael

Basically we have a backup server per X amount of servers. Mirrored drives just in case the backup drive goes as well. Newer ones are 250GB 16MB Cache SATAII drives. with Gbit NICs (wise to not use the on-board NIC's as these can interfere with speed to the HDD's on some boards).

Each web server goes to an internal switch (@ 100Mbit with Gbit uplink to backup server) and each does a SCP to the backup server scheduled at 30 minutes apart so not to flood the backup servers. Backups run from 0030 through to 0530, so if your data goes across within that 30 minutes you could do 10 servers per backup machine with no worry of abusing loads.

We also have DVD burners installed for any customer wanting a copy of their backup via DVD, and also a 3rd drive by external USB2 HDD's which copies the mirrored drives, each Friday we go in and swap that external USB drive over to another one for weekly offsite backup rotations.

X.

5. CoolMike

Hi

Thanks for the information. You don't have problem with the disk usage during the backup? Wenn I copy for example 15GB Data from server to NAS, bot systems have quite a high load...

Michael

6. CoolMike

Maybe that's exactly my problem, I'm using the onboard NIC from my DELL and SuperMicro servers...

Michael