The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Server DNS help

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by JimboJ40, Mar 18, 2006.

1. JimboJ40

JimboJ40 Active Member

Hi -

Ive just set up a second server under the same domain as my first...

eg. server1.domain.com and server2.domain.com

everything seems to be set up ok - - ive added a dns entry on the domain for server2.

Problem ive got is I moved 1 account from server1 to server2

dns entry was added by the transfer on server2 for the moved account although I have had to add a dns entry on server1 pointing to server2 IP for it to work...

This is the first time ive set a second server up on the same domain as another and I thought there would be a way to just set a account up on either server without having to add a dns entry for each new account on server1 and server2

I have both servers with A entry for ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com...

Kinda confused as to what im doing wrong or missing or is this right and each new account will need a dns entry on both servers?

hope this makes sense..

thanks in advance

#1 JimboJ40, Mar 18, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

That depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

If you just have a second server that's standalone (not being clustered with the first) then it should be pretty simple to setup an account. Create or copy the account to the server; make sure the NS records at the domain registrar point to the second server, etc. Basically, the principles used to configure the first will be the same on the second, but the names change.

Now, if you're wanting to do clustering/failover type stuff, that's another story and there are several threads here devoted to that.

This may not exactly answer your question, but perhaps we need to narrow down exactly what you want to do :)

3. JimboJ40

JimboJ40 Active Member

Thanks for the reply -

I just have 2 standalone servers but want to run them both from one domain
    server1.domain.com and server2.domain.com

I have the main domain.com set up for ns1 and ns2 at registrar and as such Ive used that on both servers........

SO I gather I should add ns3 and ns4 for the second server instead of using ns1 and ns2 on both?

I thought it was easy enough to set up second using same details and simply add a entry for second server name on the domain on first server... which I did...

but the account ive added on the second server wont show unless I add a dns entry on the first server pointing to the second servers IP...

#3 JimboJ40, Mar 18, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2006