The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Server Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maverick, Mar 8, 2003.

1. maverick

maverick Well-Known Member

I have one server with >200 accounts, and am looking into getting a second server. I've read through the various threads here on multiple server configs with WHM, but still have a few questions, which I hope some multi-server user will be able to easily answer....

1. When a "Trust Relationship" has been created with a second server, a domain name which points to the primary server will also go to the secondary (slave) server. So potentially, we will be able to create accounts on either server, using the same DNS settings for the domain name. Is this correct?

2. If the primary server became inoperational for any reason, would the slave server still work?

Thanks in advance for any help on these questions.

Mav.

2. LVWH

LVWH Member

Anyone have an answer for this one.. I will be setting up additional servers very soon too.

Thanks,

LVWH

3. JeremyV

JeremyV Well-Known Member

a trust relationship just means that your secondary server does not need its own nameservers. You set up the relationship to look at the nameservers on your primary (first) server. That is all it does really, so if you have domain.com hosted on your secondary server and type that in your browser, your ISP's DNS looks up your nameservers, which is on your first server. But on that first server the records point that domain to the second server's IP address rather than the one on the main server.

So like you said, if your primary goes down and your only nameservers are on that machine, then yes, you are going to be SOL.

4. LVWH

LVWH Member

Is there a way to mirror DNS info to a real backup server so that one would not be SOL should server 1 fail?

Thanks

LVWH

5. maverick

maverick Well-Known Member

Thanks for asking that - I was wondering the same thing....

Presently on our server we have both nameservers set up on the same server... does anybody know if it is possible to shift the second dns/IP to the other server, so that in the event that the first server fails, the second one gets queried for the account instead? This way, we could potentially restore accounts from a backup onto the second server, while the first is being serviced without resulting in substantial downtime.

Similarly, if the second server went down, accounts on that server would be directed to the first server. Accounts set up on the second server would naturally have to have their domain names configured such that dns2 is the primary nameserver and dns1 is the secondard nameserver.

Can anyone confirm that I'm understanding this correctly?

Thanks.
    Mav.