The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xrserver, Feb 28, 2008.

1. xrserver

xrserver Well-Known Member

Hey I just purchased a second server, I want to use the same main domain. Is that possible.

For example say server1's hostname was server1.mydomain.com.
    Could I make server2's hostname server2.mydomain.com and if so how would I point server2.mydomain.com to the new server?

Could I just create a zone file on server1 and have it point to server2?

#1 xrserver, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  2. acidstudioz

acidstudioz Active Member

Yea you can i just found out how you need to go to the first server and put in dns zone files that point to the server2's ip . and also make zone files for the ns's of that server

3. XzaB

XzaB Active Member

Also you can use DNS Clustering for full Clustering your DNS Servers is will give you more features and reliability in many feature ! especially if both of server belong to 1 Hosting company or something like that !

4. Shiboning

Shiboning Member

Hi,

I am new to setting up a second server too. The situation is the same as mentioned by XRSERVER above. My question is:

What do I put in the primary and secondary name server field in the Basic Setup page? What are they really asking for? The name server for the host name of the second server? In that case I should put the name servers from the first server right? Since the dns zone will be on that first server?

My first server has ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com. So the basic setup for the second server should be the same, right?

I am a little confused with the logic here. I will appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Sam

5. t9clkclnr

t9clkclnr Well-Known Member

DNS Clustering for DNS not for load balance.

DNS Clustering as I understand, is only to share dns zones between servers. It does not mean that your servers are clustered in some LVS or anything.

Adding a second server to your mix really does nothing except give you another server to host alternate sites/accounts.

I just wanted to make sure this was the correct understand of the DNS clustering functions.