Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Second WHM admin (limited) user

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbrookeJP, Apr 25, 2018.

1. dbrookeJP

dbrookeJP Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,
    I have a DNS administrator that needs access to the dns functions in all the individual cpanel accounts as well as the DNS functions in WHM.

Is there a way to created a limited-scope WHM administrator?... one that basically has access to 'DNS Functions' and 'List Accounts'?

If not, any better alternatives to just giving this person WHM root access?

Thanks,
    Donovan

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Donovan,

You could setup a reseller account for the DNS administrator and then assign ownership of the cPanel accounts to that reseller. Here are some documents to help you get started:

Reseller Center - Version 70 Documentation - cPanel Documentation
    Edit Reseller Nameservers and Privileges - Version 70 Documentation - cPanel Documentation
    Change Ownership of Multiple Accounts - Version 70 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Note that while you can limit the WHM privileges available to the reseller, assigning ownership of the cPanel accounts to the reseller will allow the reseller full cPanel access to those accounts. Can you let me know if this is suitable for what you are looking to accomplish?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dbrookeJP

dbrookeJP Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael, this looks to be too much for me right now. I don't yet understand Reseller Accounts and this looks like it would significantly affect about 15 different sites.. so I don't think I want to open that can of worms right now... maybe when I get more comfortable with WHM / cPanel overall, I'll understand how this works.

Thanks,
    Donovan

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. thesrever832

thesrever832 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I know what you want and I can tell it it would be really cool to have this. But this is NOT currently a feature possible with cpanel. I also would NOT recommend trying to code any solution yourself as it would be too much work and would probably break on next cpanel update.

I would love to be able to have a second login for whm which has limited access. You could then have an employee or friend help out without giving total control of your entire server over to them. But, this isn't an available feature in cpanel/whm at the moment. You could add it to suggestions page.

Hope it helps.

By the way, like above, it may be possible to do something remotely similar with reseller. Just create a reseller in WHM and then go to any accounts you want them to control and assign the account to that reseller.

In that case, the reseller will have full access to those accounts.

But exactly what you wanted isn't possible with cpanel/whm currently.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator