The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secondary DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Dotcoms, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Dotcoms

Dotcoms Active Member

Is it possible to create a slave dns entry into /etc/named.conf without breaking bind - without establishing a trust relationship within whm on a primary name server?

I say this because I have tried to do just that today without success, bind failed.

I am trying to use an existing server for secondary dns for a new server ( I don't want to enable a trust relationship, I would like my primary dns in NZ)

What I did:-

Server1
    make dns zone domain.com.db

edit /etc/named.conf and edited to make this:-

zone &domain.com& IN {
    type slave;
    file &domain.com.db&;
    masters { master.domain.com; };
    };

Server2
    make dns zone domain.com.db
    (Primary) I added:

zone &domain.com& IN {
    type master;
    file &/var/named/domain.com.db&;
    notify yes;
    };

Bind stopped everytime on server 1 that i want the secondary dns on.

If this can't be done.....Is it possible to establish the trust relationship within whm - and use the existing server (Server1) which has domains on - to be the slave and my new machine (Server2) the primary - without affecting the primary name servers that are set up for resellers on server1?

Maybe I did something wrong... any help appreciated.

2. itf

itf Well-Known Member

Read this thread

http://forums.cpanel.net/read.php?TID=2886

3. Dotcoms

Dotcoms Active Member

Thanks for that, I have already established a trust relationship on servers before running cpanel - In this case my question is can I run secondary on a box that already has clients and without affecting them (Probably your post answered that - no you can't)

OK, I got a tech at the data center to show me how - he set the secondary dns up on another machine in the dc and everything worked, zones were updating correctly on each machine (No trust relationship needed)

OK, so I followed his example and set up the secondary on a machine running whm - Bind would break everytime I set up the slave zone.

Guess I'll ask him again to set it up and see if he gets the same thing.

Cheers :)

4. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:5e5d8ad297][i:5e5d8ad297]Originally posted by Dotcoms[/i:5e5d8ad297]

Thanks for that, I have already established a trust relationship on servers before running cpanel - In this case my question is can I run secondary on a box that already has clients and without affecting them (Probably your post answered that - no you can't)

OK, I got a tech at the data center to show me how - he set the secondary dns up on another machine in the dc and everything worked, zones were updating correctly on each machine (No trust relationship needed)

OK, so I followed his example and set up the secondary on a machine running whm - Bind would break everytime I set up the slave zone.

Guess I'll ask him again to set it up and see if he gets the same thing.

Cheers :)[/quote:5e5d8ad297]

I didn’t wrote you can’t,[b:5e5d8ad297] The BIND name server can simultaneously act as a master for some zones, a slave for some other zones also as a recursive server (caching server) for others.[/b:5e5d8ad297]

It is not necessary to describe all the ways that BIND could be configured which is beyond the size of this post.

But if you would like to work easily with Cpanel without manual configuration; and would like to increase reliability and security this is your answer:

Let’s consider that you have Server 1 (acting as your primary name server) and Server 2 (which you would like to act as Secondary name server) you also wrote that you have domains on the server 2, it means prior to this time you had server 1 and server 2 both as a primary server

Make a backup copy from /var/named directory and /etc/named.conf file, and then add your zones from server 2 to the server 1 it is not necessary to remove these zones from server 2 at this time (this could be achieved by cpanel or simply from Shell by copying zone data bases and appending named.conf zones to the server 1)

Now clean DNS configuration on the server 2 and follow the procedures to get the secondary DNS working (as I wrote in my last post)

Every maintenance to the DNS records updates the Primary server (server 1) and consequently server 2 (secondary DNS) will be updated automatically (AXFR, IXFR protocols)

[b:5e5d8ad297]Attention: It does not affect on your server 2’s clients if you don’t make any change to your name servers' IP addresses.[/b:5e5d8ad297]

But if you are now using trust relationship and secondary DNS is working what is the problem?

5. Dotcoms

Dotcoms Active Member

Thanks for the info - i decided to make life simple and just use the existing primary server in the US and have the NZ server set up as slave... by establishing the trust relationship, went without a hitch :D

It makes life so much easier to transfer accounts between servers - It's a great feature!!

I just over complicated things as usual is all LOL....