The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secondary drives didn't boot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by crwilliams, Nov 8, 2007.

1. crwilliams

crwilliams Well-Known Member

After a reboot today, my two secondary drives appear not to have booted (or they aren't mounted?) When I view the server information in WHM, only my primary drive information is displayed.

I can navigate to the second drive's directory/mount name and see the backup files I had there, but when I navigate to my third drive's mount directory name (I don't even know what to call it), I see an empty directory where I'd had my home2 mounted with a bunch of sites.

Is it a matter of the two drives not being included in the boot sequence or not being mounted? I desperately need the drive for home2 back, most of all, especially since the sites on that home2 drive hadn't been backed up yet.

I'm not great with the hardware and mounting and such, as is obvious. I only got them working through the WHM in the first place.

Please tell me that seeing an empty /home2 directory is not truly indicative of what will be there when I really have access again?

Oh, and yeah, I'll be having to do a restore/OS reinstall of the main drive when I have access to my other drives, because I'm pretty sure it was a root compromise that led to my eventual reboot. Oh joy.

fdisk -l does show the drives exist. My /home2 disk shows this, in case it matters:

Disk /dev/sdc: 80.0 GB, 80000000000 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9726 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdc1 1 9726 78124063+ 83 Linux

Thanks for any tips or nudges in the right direction!

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

What does your fstab show? The partitions probably just need to be added.

/etc/fstab

3. crwilliams

crwilliams Well-Known Member

Thank you... after looking at the fstab and after more searching overnight and all day, I did get the drives mounted again.

Being lost when it came to the drives, my biggest fear was that I'd accidentally destroy the content when I tried to remount them.

mount -t auto /dev/sdb1 /mountname
    mount -t auto /dev/sdc1 /mountname

That got me access to my drives and the files again. I won't lie-- I'm not even sure that's the proper way I should've done it. I was desperate at that point, though, and I consider myself lucky that it worked. What I'm doing right this minute is getting all of that info backed up to another backup server so that I don't have to rely on luck again.

I'm also going to do a lot of reading about the file systems, partitioning and mounting drives. It's embarrassing how little of these topics I understand.

Thanks again for the nudge!

4. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

We've actually had some drives not come ready and not get detected in time so either a warm boot was needed but sometimes a "mount -a" does it too.