The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secondary MX and spam

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by n000b, Feb 14, 2011.

1. n000b

n000b Well-Known Member

I'm looking to set up a VPS running cPanel to use as a DNS server, and a secondary mail server for my hosting accounts.

I assume that if I set up the RBL's through WHM on the secondary MX server, they will apply to any mail coming through it for the primary server? What about SpamAssassin - is there any way to get SA to scan mail that doesn't actually belong to a hosting account on the server (or does it do it automatically)?

Also, does a secondary mail server and DNS server need much memory? Hoping to get away with 256mb RAM, or at most 512mb.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

For the memory part, a DNS server shouldn't take a lot of memory to run, but email is intensive and I highly doubt that 256MB of RAM will cut it for exim to process emails.

For the other questions, I'm trying to understand the precise setup. Normally, a secondary MX server only gets the mails queued to it when the primary MX server is down. Secondary MX are backup mail systems. Do you really mean secondary MX in this terminology where it would receive the backup mails that will not deliver to it, but simply be held in the queue until the primary MX is online and then the emails will deliver to the primary MX? If you did mean this, then the primary MX machine can be used for SpamAssassin checking, and the RBLs certainly should still be considered for the secondary MX when the mail arrives to the machine (exim will scan emails based on the RBL lists anyway).

As for SpamAssassin, I'm not certain if it will be tagging emails that are simply sitting there in the queue. It seems possible if this is a secondary MX that might happen, since technically the accounts do exist on the machine but they don't get delivery only held there until the primary MX is online.

Thanks.

3. n000b

n000b Well-Known Member

I am setting it up as you described. I thought that you should always run strong anti-spam on secondary MX's which is why I want to set up SpamAssassin as well as the RBL's.