The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secondary MX Localhost Queue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WebIdentity, Jul 3, 2005.

1. WebIdentity

WebIdentity Member

Hi Guys,

I've had someone request to have a primary mx record setup for an external machine, but they also want a secondary mx pointed to localhost to catch the mail if the primary is down. I was hoping that perhaps someone could help me in knowing the correct process in doing this as i've attempted to a few things, tweeking the /etc/secondarymx file and a few other things but when the primary is down (to test the secondary mx) the mail bounces saying the server i'm trying to mail is not a valid host for this user.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you host the domain on the same server I'm not sure that the secondarymx feature will work. Just to check a few things:

1. You have a low score MX record pointing to a different mail server
    2. You have a high score MX pointing to this server
    3. You have the domain removed from /etc/localdomains
    4. You have the domain in /etc/remotedomains
    5. You have the domain in /etc/secondarymx

If all that is correct and it still doesn't work, then it may well be because the exim configuration cannot cope for some reason as it's getting confused with the local MX but no entry in /etc/localdomains.

Do you have more than one server? If so, then it should work if you pointed the high scoring MX record to that and only put the domain in that servers /etc/secondarymx and nowhere else. If you don't have another server, then it may simply not work without some exim tweaking.

3. WebIdentity

WebIdentity Member

Hi Chirpy

I've seen your previous posts of this nature (this is what assisted me before in the inital setup) and after all the above steps it still doesnt seem to want to work correctly... I guess i'll have to have a look at the exim config like you've said. Otherwise i'll need to move the dns to a different server to utilise the mail services on the box.

Thanks for your help.