The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secondary, Redundant DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Magotchi, May 8, 2007.

1. Magotchi

Magotchi Member

I've just setup server with WHM in a local datacenter. Every DNS zone on its nameserver points to itself (except for maybe a few not-so-important subdomains and MX records).

The RFC standards require a least 2 DNS servers in different Class C IP ranges (and ideally in seperate datacenters) to get rid of the "single point of failure" problem otherwise encountered.

Should I comply? If my primary DNS server goes down, my web server goes down anyway, so should I even care about getting secondary DNS set up?

If not, what's the best way (if there is one) to trick the internet (namely dnsreport.com) into thinking my two DNS servers aren't the same machine (even though they would be)? Would there be anything to do beyond just using one of the server's other IPs in the nameserver registration (on GoDaddy for example)?

If so, what's the cheapest, easiest way of getting it done?

My ideas were to:
    ...setup a cheap box here at the office with cPanel DNS Only on it. This won't work for me because my ISP charges like 100 bucks a month just to have a static IP.

...get a cheap VPS somewhere and stick cPanel DNS Only on it.

...find some service that can automatically copy all of my zones on a regular basis to their server and run a slave for them. I can't find a service that does this other than those that force you to speciify individual domains. My datacenter was willing to offer this type of service with one of their machines, but they said they don't think it's possible to scrape an entire DNS server for zones, and that if it was possible, that it would be a security problem.

I'm sure I'm not the only web host that has had to make this decision, so does anyone have ideas?

2. eddie

eddie Active Member

3. nisse

nisse Well-Known Member

Or you could try a service like dnsmadeeasy.com for hosting your DNS records. But like you said, if your server has gone down it wouldn't make any difference anyway.

4. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

www.everydns.net has a free service as well as paid... I've been using them for over a year, maybe two, with no hassles.

5. tautauh_jr

tautauh_jr Registered

I don't advise anyone to use such free services ... to give one example, I was using some years ago such free service called secondary.org

I had some very old domain name with dns.secondary.org configured as secondary DNS server and a few months ago these domains were affected by a Ads website displaying in place of the real content all that because sometimes DNS servers were asking dns.secondary.org to get the website IP address and this DNS server is actually a wildcard redirecting ton consumer.net ...

We get the service we pay ;)