The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secure Connection - clone.cpanel.net

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BMR777, Jan 14, 2010.

1. BMR777

BMR777 Member

Hello,

On my VPS server when I go to log in using a secure connection I am prompted to accept a SSL certificate for clone.cpanel.net. If I accept it then I can log in securely to the server.

Is this just a default SSL certificate provided by CPanel? Can I continue to use this certificate without issue and is the connection really secure? With the SSL certificate being set to a cpanel.net domain name is there any chance of any login data being transmitted back to CPanel?

Thanks. :)

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Assuming by the name the servers been loaded from an image. You'll want to edit/setup the server properly to use your own domain. If your server contact email is setup correctly, you should be recieving an email about this needing taken care of.

3. BMR777

BMR777 Member

Thanks for the reply.

The server is already set up using my own domain name for the hosting account I have on it. I'm using it just for personal websites, not for reselling. I am getting the email as you mentioned stating my hostname needs editing, however it appears to be working perfectly fine. It was loaded from an image from my VPS provider and unfortunately every time I change the host name it reverts back to the default when I do anything in my VPS control panel.

Back to the original question though, can I continue using this to log in securely and is it secure? If I wanted to set up my own SSL cert instead of CPanel's how would I do that?

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You shouldn't as the domain does not resolve to your IP correctly. (or any other for that matter) You can search the forums for many threads on setting up SSL certs for your server, I think that topic has been covered fairly well around here.

GL!