The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

secure email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by inxil, Apr 13, 2004.

1. inxil

inxil Member

I'm using WHM to manage a web server, and I'd like to use ssl connections for pop3 and smtp. I Outlook Express, and I've just turned on ssl for incoming and outgoing connections, which works. Unfortunately, I get the following error:

"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying agains the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file. Do you want to continue using this server?"

I click "Yes" and everything works fine, but it gets annoying real fast (every time I check my mail I have to click the "yes" button). I'm not worried about fixing the problem for anyone other than myself. I'm sure that if I bought a SSL cert I could get things working, but I'm the only person who needs secure e-mail, so it's not worth the cost.

Does anyone know how I can make my computer like the cert that's been generated? I know very little about SSL, so I just can't figure it out on my own. Thanks for any help you're able to give.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you browse to https://www.serverdomain.com do you get the certificate warning pop-up? If so, from there you can install that certificate into IE and then it shouldn't bug you when you try and connect using OE.

3. inxil

inxil Member

I have a valid SSL Cert for www.domainname.org. I thought I might be able to just connect to www.domainname.org from my mail client, but that didn't change things at all. Aren't mail certs different than https certs?

4. inxil

inxil Member

Ok, so I looked at my imapd.pem file, and it's set to expire in 2003. I don't know enough about openssl to create a new version. Anyone able to help out?

5. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

WHM does it for you. Look in the SSL section.

6. inxil

inxil Member

Thanks!