The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secure/SSL emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Kingman, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Kingman

Kingman Active Member
    PartnerNOC

I've never used this before so am having trouble instructing a customer on how this is setup.

An SSL certificate is installed on secure.hostname.com so will this be used as the email servers in the email client?

Through testing, it seemed to work using:

POP server: secure.hostname.com
    SMTP: servername.hostname.com

But this customer is having problems using this method and wants to know why they cannot just use mail.theirdomain.com for both like normal. Any tips?

Also, I'm am totally unable to replicate this error but they say that they are unable to send email because of this error:

The SMTP server [servername.hostname.com] said 550 rejected: unknown local part in sender &his_default@emailaddress.com&

Or this error:

Can't send to &&. The server gives this reason '550 relaying to && prohibited by administrator.

I really need some tips on getting this setup because I'm unable to replicate this error using Eudora (which I'm not too familiar with anyway).

Thanks.

2. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

[quote:d3912ad916][i:d3912ad916]Originally posted by Kingman[/i:d3912ad916]

An SSL certificate is installed on secure.hostname.com so will this be used as the email servers in the email client?

POP server: secure.hostname.com
    SMTP: servername.hostname.com
    [/quote:d3912ad916]
    Since the SSL certificate is issued for secure.hostname.com make sure pop server (port 995) and smtp server (port 465) are set to secure.hostname.com as well.
    Otherwise you will get warnings.

[quote:d3912ad916]
    But this customer is having problems using this method and wants to know why they cannot just use mail.theirdomain.com for both like normal. Any tips?

He could buy his own SSL certificate for his domain.

[quote:d3912ad916]
    Also, I'm am totally unable to replicate this error but they say that they are unable to send email because of this error:

The SMTP server [servername.hostname.com] said 550 rejected: unknown local part in sender &his_default@emailaddress.com&

Or this error:

Can't send to &&. The server gives this reason '550 relaying to && prohibited by administrator.

I really need some tips on getting this setup because I'm unable to replicate this error using Eudora (which I'm not too familiar with anyway).

Thanks.

He probably didn't enter the correct information in his e-mail client.

Also you need to first check an e-mail account before you try to send e-mail from it, otherwise you might get the relaying denied message.

3. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

I don't think buying a cert for his domain will help though. The server seems to always use the server's cert and not the one for the specified domain (been doing more testing on this today).