Securing folders but allowing access to the contents

mezerik

Registered
Jul 7, 2008
I need to secure some folders in Cpanel 10. I have used the password protect facility but with that turned on it means that people can't access the files in those folders without entering a username and password.

What I need to do is just lock the folder so people cannot view it using a web browser, without entering a password first. But I need the files and sub folders to be accessible without a password.

If I change the permissions to 7 5 1 it is no good either as this will give a forbidden message and I might need to give people access to the folder sometimes so it must be accessible with a password.

rone

Jan 14, 2007
The Netherlands
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
cPanel 10 ???? If this is your own server then the first step is to upgrade it asap.

If this is hosting account by a Hosting provider.....please go away asap, a hosting provider that still works with cPanel 10 ???!!!:eek:

Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
I need to secure some folders in Cpanel 10. I have used the password protect facility but with that turned on it means that people can't access the files in those folders without entering a username and password.

What I need to do is just lock the folder so people cannot view it using a web browser, without entering a password first. But I need the files and sub folders to be accessible without a password.

If I change the permissions to 7 5 1 it is no good either as this will give a forbidden message and I might need to give people access to the folder sometimes so it must be accessible with a password.
You want them to be able to access it without a password, but sometimes accessible with a password? Doesn't make sense.

To secure files in that directory without a password, you might want to place a simple index.html in it. Also add a line to your robots.txt to try and keep searchbots out of it. If google can see the files anyone can see the files.

You might check with your host for more ideas. ;)

mtindor

Sep 14, 2004
inside a catfish
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It's not my job to upgrade. My host uses it. Thanks for all your help :mad:
Then move your site/s to a new host. You really are missing out on a lot if your host is not running the latest. AND, your host's version of Cpanel is no longer supported. If they ever have problems with it, there is nothing they'll be able to do short of upgrading.

Mike

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Security 13
N Security 1
M Security 1
H Security 1
Eli L Security 2