Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Securing port 25 for Telnet

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by divemasterza, Apr 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. divemasterza

divemasterza Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    After quite a lot of Googling, it left me even more confused, as a lot of contradicting info is out there.

Problem: Anyone can connect to telnet port 25 and abuse internal mails (Relay access is not authorised) As an example if the server is hosting mails for xyz.tld:
    Anyone could send email from [email protected] to [email protected] without any authentication.

How do I prevent, secure this? Is it possible to force authentication on port 25, and if yes what is the impact of this?

2. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Smtp utilises port 25, so you can't close it otherwise you'll potentially kill all email.
    However, you may be able to limit Telnet access to a specific IP, range of IP's or deny access all together using Host Access Contol.

Host Access Control - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Host Access Control is pretty powerful and should be seriously considered as part of your security in my opinion.

#2 keat63, Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  3. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Email to locally hosted domains are always accepted without authentication. That is how internet email works. Port 25 is the port that email comes in to your users on and it comes from all external sources. All those servervices do not have authentication data. Its the only way your users can get emails.

You have to reply on spam tools like spamassassin and your exim config to assist in separating the crap out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is where SPF and DKIM are SUPPOSE to help.

SPF and DKIM are called Email Authenticators because the process is SUPPOSE to provide a system to verify that a system that sent a message is really SUPPOSE to be sending that message.

As you can see, there a lot of suppose to's in this.

Trouble is, the adoption of strictly verifying these authentication methods at the receiving end (not just your server or cPanel servers, but ANY mail server) is very poor. That and the fact that people still want to hold onto ancient and archaic methods of distributing mail means that there is still a significant email population that does not want this verification to be very strict.

5. divemasterza

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    My concern is more linked to the fact that anyone can Telnet on 25 and pretend to be someone else and send internal mails.

i.e.:
    Code:
    telnet mail.anydomain.com 25
    EHLO [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    mail from: <[email protected]>
    rcpt to: <[email protected]>
    data
    to: Accounts Department
    subject: Please pay the below
    Lorem ispum dolor sit amet...

So default cPanel: Mail is internal and is not relayed: no auth needed and the mail will be delivered. No DKIM or SPF in play here as they are normally not applied to internal.

6. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yep!

That's the way SMTP works. Every SMTP server is going to be "vulnerable" to this.

Those sextortion emails everyone is getting... the ones that say "Hey look, I'm sending this from your email address"... it works on this same principle.

I can send an email from any @cpanel.net email address to anyone. There's nothing to stop me from doing that. Hopefully (fingers crossed) the recipient that I sent that message to would have Email Authentication checks in place enough to show that I didn't really connect from a cpanel.net mail server when sending that message and either reject it or flag it as spam.

The only way to govern that the envelope-sender is really who they say they are (or at least as close as possible) is with Email Authentication. But I've already expressed that soapbox in the reply above.

Keep in mind - Email Authentication - here is referring to SPF, DKIM, (and I suppose DMARC). Not SMTP Authentication - which is where you have to present a valid username and password to relay out mail through the server.

Email Authentication is meant to verify the authenticity of the email sender - that they are who they say they are.

SMTP Authentication is meant to allow relaying of outgoing mail.

These are two completely different things.

7. divemasterza

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    @SPaReK, Thank you for the comprehensive reply.
    Relaying on my server is not allowed, so one domain sending to another one even hosted on the same server is not an issue using this method.

When using @cpanel.net example above I could a mail for anyone to anyone within that domain. The mails will be considered as a local delivery thus not going thru spamassassin, or SPF, DKIM checks before accepting the message for delivery. Perhaps a very noob reaction, but I find this absolutely puzzling.

#7 divemasterza, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2019
  8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...