The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security compromise in cPanel?

Discussion in 'Security' started by methos, May 8, 2008.

1. methos

methos Member

I have just had the following report from a customer ... needless to say we are extremely concerned abotu this ... does anyone have any thoughts .....?

Over the past few days or so I have noticed if I leave the cPanel open for a long while like overnight and then refresh the page I get SOMEONE ELSE'S cPanel account. For example right now I am looking at XXXXXXXX.com cPanel. At first I thought it was a fluke bug but now I realize it is full access.

This should be fixed ASAP, one of my customer's cPanel changed to portuguese by itself hinting that someone else had access and changed it thinking it was theirs.

in a later report he told us .....

I just tried to save an html file using the html editor in the file manager and it said..

"Unable to change directory to /home/XXXXX/home/YYYYYY/public_html! You do not seem to have access permissions! (System Error: No such file or directory)"

(I have substitued YYYYY for this users valid home directory, XXXX is another users ....)

2. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Maybe a bunch of us should try this and see if we can duplicate it. I have 5 windows machines here in the office and I am going to login to 5 different accounts on one server and leave it alone overnight tonight to see if it happens to any of them.

Could this be something due to cookies or other session variables getting reused after a long period of time?.

3. methos

methos Member

thanks, would appreciate if someone can replicate ... we are definitely suspecting expired and maybe re-used sessions here ... apparently the user just refreshes the page and there it is ... no requirement to re-login or anything ...

4. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

If you can send us some info in a support request, that'd be great. We'd surely like to squash something like this quickly if it's reproducible.

5. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    We can no replicate this but we did have it happen over the weekend. Client "a" logged in and saw client "b's" cPanel. They logged out/in and everything was fine. later in the day we got a support ticket from "client b" and when they went to cPanel they saw "client a". We had very unhappy clients.

6. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Well I got my 5 machines logged into different accounts cpanel since 5pm eastern. I will leave them like this until the morning to allow for the day change and the overnight upcp backend stuff to run just in case that has something to do with it as well. I figure by 6 or 7am eastern should be long enough.

Only time will tell.......

7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Would you mind posting the version of cPanel that server is running?

8. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

We have had SEVERAL customers contact us also with a similar messaage except they're having the SAME thing happen with webmail..

ie. they say, sometimes when they refresh their webmail they find themselves in some other customer's mailbox (not another mailbox under the same acct, but another customer altogether)

So obviously this issue is affecting both cpanel and webmail logins Is there a fix for this yet?

We have VERY pissed off customers right now

9. jpetersen

jpetersen Well-Known Member

If someone experiencing these issues can post the information below that would be great:

cPanel version:

Thanks.

10. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

Os is centos 4.6
    cPanel 11.18.5-R24148

We've blocked cpanel and webmail (both ssl and non-ssl) ports on our firewall until this is resolved. i'd highly recommend everyone does it unless you wanna get sued. I just had a big client scream at me because apparently another customer contacted them after they found themselves in thsi client's mailbox (via webmail)

#10 qwerty, May 8, 2008
    Last edited: May 8, 2008
  11. gottabekidding

Had something remotely similar occur -- except the user was publishing files & it ended up on another one of his accounts. (Mentioned to Mr. Peterson earlier)

Could this be confirmed or denied by cpanel -- a private hint at the very least & some immediate recommendations would be nice. ;)

12. jpetersen

jpetersen Well-Known Member

Just to clarify - I tried but was not able to reproduce the issue mentioned to me earlier. I speculate that this was because I had only tested the issue on EDGE (either 11.23.0-EDGE_24219 or whatever the previous version was), while it was reported to have occurred 1 time on 05/08/08 on a server running RELEASE (11.18.5-R24148 if I remember correctly). This was on CentOS.

13. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
  14. rkm11

rkm11 Active Member

This is all quite interesting...

Now that this issue has been resolved, how long had this been happenening for each release? :s

15. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The problem was introduced in the Security update on May 1st.

16. Bailey

Bailey Well-Known Member

Nick, this is the 2nd thing I've seen, that you fixed very quickly late last week ... you also fixed a cPanel-side thing for a ticket I had open ... (and I am sure there were many other things that I haven't seen) ...

I just wanted to say thank you, and great job. :) Quick attention and fast repairs are just wonderful, and very, very much appreciated.

:D Bailey