The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security Features..

Discussion in 'Security' started by maverick23, Jan 31, 2006.

1. maverick23

maverick23 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi All,

I just wanted to know what kind of security features does a cpanel box provides..?

I mean if some one asks me that what kind of security i have for customers data here in what all is the information that i can provide to the person..?

Sometimes i feel that if i will tell him it will sound very techy but other ways i even have to explain him that cpanel is much better than any other control panel..

Pl. suggest..

Rajat

2. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

cPanel itself does not come with any security. It is just an end user control panel and can also be used to help manage a server. The only security that can be offered through cPanel are Apache modules such as Mod_Security and Mod_Doseasive.

With any server you will need to manually configure a firewall and other security software. The main 3 are:

APF Firewall
    Brute Force Detection
    Mod_Security + A good ruleset.

This has to be all configured properly otherwise you have the risk of blocking yourself from accessing your server. If you have a managed server they will usually, or should take care of installing such applications for you.

There is a good sticky in the General section on these forums which goes through the basic configuration of APF, BFD and a few tweaks to cPanel which can help keep your server secure.

Chris

3. jacks

jacks Active Member

celliott is right. cPanel/WHM comes with extreme basic security feature(s). If you don't have the technical background to secure your server, you can hire someone who does. There are many sys admins in these forums like andyreed with servertune.