The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

security hole..upgraded..still shows red bar

Discussion in 'Security' started by chadi, May 11, 2004.

1. chadi

chadi BANNED

I upgraded by clicking the link for the security hole warning on whm news page. It still shows the red warning bar. Why? I logged out/in. Restarted Apache as well.

2. knipper

knipper Well-Known Member

In order the the update to work you must be using the current or edge builds.

If you are using stable, or release it will not update.

You would need to change your preferences in "change update preferences" if you choose to change the build you use.

3. chadi

chadi BANNED

I'm using stable. Is that better?

4. knipper

Hi again,

The text in the box says:
    Security A Security hole has been discovered in the exim mail server, if you are using EDGE or CURRENT, you can update to a new build (9.3.0 build 1 or later) which has a fix by clicking here. RELEASE and STABLE will have updates for this problem in the near future.

Since you are using stable... it will not update until CPanel adds the fix to the "stable" version. At this point they have only added the fix to the "current" or "edge" builds.

Meaning, if you want to apply the fix now... instead of waiting, you need to change your configuration to the "current" (or edge) build. (I'd recommend current)

You can do that by changing the preferences I stated above. After changing the preferences, you can click the link in the red box, to do the update. After you reload the news page the red box will be gone... After the update completes.

:D

5. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

That depends on context.

New features and fixes trickle down into stable releases as they become tested and proven. If you want frequent updates then stable is not "better". If you want more proven updates then stable is "better".

6. knipper

Aahhhhh...

I missed what he was refering to. That makes sense!

7. chadi

chadi BANNED

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. One question, does "edge" mean metaphorically for "living on the edge" release lol as in "not recommended"?

8. knipper

Yep... that's pretty close!

I ran edge for a while... with only minor hiccups. If you are using on a production server, especially with a bunch of account I would suggest the "current" build.

Stable is the "most" stable, of the batch... but is slowest to have patches, upgrades, and fixes applied. However for security issues I'll run a "less" stable version to get the update.

Just my .02 ;)