The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security Implications of Mod_Userdir

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Staxed, Sep 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Staxed

Staxed Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am coming back to cpanel after being with Interworx for that past 3 years. It seems like Mod_Ruid2 was enabled by default, which disabled mod_userdir so I can't easily use temporary directory's for new customers now.

I know I can have them edit their hosts file to fix the issue...but that's a bit to expect from a new customer (though depending on security issues I might go that route). Is there any reason to be using mod_ruid2 instead of mod_userdir that makes it worth losing out of the temp domain feature?

2. linux4me2

linux4me2 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    AFAIK, the main reasons to use mod_ruid2 are for Symlink Race Condition Protection and to have PHP processes run under the users' accounts without running suPHP.

There are some drawbacks to using mod_ruid2 beyond just the inability to use mod_userdir. Until cPanel v.58.0.30, mod_ruid2 interfered with mod_security writing to the audit logs by user. That's supposed to be fixed, but there is still a conflict that prevents any of the mod_security rules that use data persistence--like those preventing brute force login attempts--from writing to the DBM files that breaks important parts of mod_security. That was enough for me to quit using mod_ruid2 and look for alternative symlink race condition protections.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator