The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SECURITY ISSUE: GD (php image library)

Discussion in 'Security' started by qwerty, Aug 10, 2007.

1. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

cpanel's easyapache scripts still bundles GD 2.0.28 and as reported over the past few days and weeks there are several exploits for all versions of GD < 2.0.35 some incl. REMOTE ARBITRARY CODE EXECUTION.

Can cpanel PLEASE update the included GD library to at least 2.0.35 as it's currently sitting on 2.0.28

2. deanstev

deanstev Well-Known Member

I'm running 5.2.0 and its using the old GD also...

Where did the post go from before???

3. ChadE

ChadE Active Member

I'm running PHP 5.2.3 (Serious improvement over 5.2.0 - much faster) and I have GD 2.0.35 according to phpinfo. I believe a newer version of GD was bundled in/after 5.2.1. 5.2.3 and 5.2.4RC1 both feature GD updates/enhancements to the GD system.

4. deanstev

deanstev Well-Known Member

I've just gone to recompile with 5.2.3, and this is what it says:

GD (Version 2.0.15)

WTF?

5. DReade83

DReade83 Well-Known Member

This is crazy. We're the customers here and shouldn't have to be asking the developers to upgrade the software at our request due to security issues...

Obviously security isn't a great concern to cPanel as I have rarely seen priorities given to security updates previously. I mean, look how long it took for PHP 5.2.2 and 5.2.3 to hit the Apache Update page. Both versions hit the page at the same time which is pretty pointless in my opinion and, in addition, both hit the page weeks after release.

So, the question is how long will it take to get the GD Library updated? Anyone like to have a guess?

6. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    easyapache 1.5 no longer installs gd. It uses the one the is bundled with php. The version is just a display artifact left over in the system (which will be going away once easyapache 3 is relased).