The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security of users' mailbox

Discussion in 'Security' started by caradura, Sep 7, 2004.

1. caradura

caradura Registered

Hi,
    I've been looking for an answer since two weeks and asked it in many forums, including email contact with hosting companies I have account with. But no one solves the problem. To be honest, half of them don't even understand the problem. I am a reseller and have WHM access to manage my clients accounts (they use cpanel). My problem is not a problem of lack of power, on the contrary, it's a problem of too much power, for me and for my clients.

When I use my reseller user/password, I can access all my clients accounts (through cpanel), and I think this is good.
    The problem is I can use the file manager and access each individual mailbox too! That's what I don't want, because this way I could download their contents and read the eamils that are still in the inbox file, or those that are in the sent folder.
    The same problem aplyes to my cleints: they can access all their users mailboxes and see their emails. I don't want them to be able to do that. But unfortunately the mailboxes are created in folders that don't ask for the spewcific user's login/password.

I know this can be done because I have other reseller hosting accounts that do it (they don't use cpanel).

I don't know if it's something that must be configured by the server's owner who install the WHM/cpanel software.

In case someone knows how to block site adimnistrator's access to the user's mailboxes under his administration, it would be helpfull. (Not perfect because I don't want this power either).
    Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You simply cannot do that with cPanel as all of the files in the users account directory tree (including the mailbox files) are owned by the account username and not individual virtual users within that account. That's just the way cPanel works.

3. caradura

caradura Registered

Thank you very much.
    It's so good to see someone that: first, understand what you are saying (I had a feeling it was not so complicated to understand, but almost no one understands!), and second, be able to answer. I tried many hosting companies because they answered my questions saying they could do it (using cpanel) to discover, after testing, that hey could not.
    I know this is not a usefull post, I just want to say thank you.

#3 caradura, Sep 8, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  4. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

That seems pretty useful to me. :)

5. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Agreed. Wouldn't mind seeing more of it. ;)