The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

security php fopen chmod 777

Discussion in 'Security' started by skyshine, Oct 6, 2005.

1. skyshine

skyshine Registered

Hi

If using php in a cPanel account the only way I can write to a file is to CHMOD as writable to everybody . I would have thought this is a security issue, enabling anyone to write to that file. Can someone please clarify? I have read somwhere that for some reason this is still secure, but I question that.

eg
    $fileH = fopen("/home/path/to/file","w");
    comes up with
    Warning: fopen(/home/path/to/file): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/path/to/file on line 2
    unless CHMOD xx6 or xx7

Many Thanks
    Sky

2. sv1

sv1 Well-Known Member

We have an issue on a server which we upgraded php and after running /scripts/convert2maildir

Warning: fopen(/tmp/horde_32001.log): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/lib/php/Log/file.php on line 202

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/lib/php/Log/file.php:202) in /usr/local/cpanel/base/horde/login.php on line 96

3. sh4ka

sh4ka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    first try chmod 755 and if that doesn't work temporary you will have to chmod 777 that file until you resolve the problems, and yeap, it's kind unsure that..

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Just delete the /tmp/horde_32001.log file and it should recreate itself with the correct ownership. Also, do make sure that /tmp is chmod 1777.

Yup, welcome to the crap php security model. Oh wait, it doesn't have one. If you want to avoid that you'd have to rebuild apache with phpsuexec enabled.