The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security precautions before Restoring an account

Discussion in 'Security' started by Rane, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Rane

Rane Registered

Apr 6, 2011
    We have a number of clients that purchase WHM reseller accounts from us, who then in turn offer web hosting services from them.

Frequently, our WHM resellers give us a cPanel Backup from one of their customers and ask us to restore it from the WHM main account.

Since we are somewhat removed from the actual person who made the Backup, we are concerned about possible server compromises by Restoring an unknown Backup file.

In other words, possible server exploits by running:

/scripts/restorepkg <user>

Does anyone take any precautions prior to or after Restoring an unknown Backup?

Thank you
  2. bhd

bhd Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2003
    JNB ZA
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You referring to a backup that was created on a different cPanel server to your own servers I presume. We have never been asked by on of our resellers to do that, but I must say, I would be cautious. What I would probably do is to google the domain(s) in the archive to see if there are any reports of malware, viruses etc being reported in the last few months and also the basics like who owns the domain, when it was registered, what kind of site it is, check cached pages etc.

For example if the domain being restored is hackersRus.TLD I wouldn't touch it. (Wouldn't host it either).

(I would also want to know who the previous host was and what version of cPanel they were running)