Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Security problem - php running as noboby

Discussion in 'Security' started by Markwaugh, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Markwaugh

Markwaugh Well-Known Member

Hello Guys,

Currently I or any user on the system could read any of my files through a php file. This allows all passwords to be viewed. I have tested this and I can read config files of one of my clients on the server - user steeve

I can't seem to find a combination of permissions that will allow the config to be executed by steeve - but not read by another user on the system. .

suExec is currently enabled and I have also prevented the user 'nobody' from sending out mail to remote addresses.but the below code

<?
    $file = fopen ("/home/mark/public_html/common/connection.php", "r");
    if (!$file) {
    echo 'not able to read';
    }else{
    while (!feof ($file)) {
    $message .= fgets ($file, 4096);
    }
    echo $message;
    }
    fclose($file);
    ?>

As far as I can test (some) user can read files using php fopen that belong to other users eg. steeve.

This is going to be a problem with on of my other users that will have sensitive data on the server. any ideas would be highly appricated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the normal behaviour of PHP under Apache - nicely insecure.

Apache SuExec has nothing to do with PHP, that only provides a "secure" environment for CGI scripts.

There are 2 main options:

1. Recompile Apache and include PHP SuExec. You can do this from within WHM under Software > Update Apache > read from there on

Or

2. Under Server Setup > Tweak Security, enable php open_basedir Tweak

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Elikster

Elikster Well-Known Member

suPHP

Or you can use the suPHP module instead of recompiling apache and patching php and apache with that phpsuexec. You can get it at www.suphp.org.

4. Radio_Head

Radio_Head Well-Known Member

good morning :) .. Sorry me .. however it's a problem discussed from years .
    Same problem with perl and python and other languages however .
    Your server is open , since your users are not chrooted.