The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Security Question:

Discussion in 'Security' started by RTNM, Aug 7, 2014.

1. RTNM

RTNM Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Having just got my first dedicated server a couple of days ago, I have already experienced being temporarily locked out a couple of times because of cPHulk Brute Force kicking in.

I am now deeply concerned about this whole idea of having a dedicated server and am actually thinking of cancelling this whole project and just let a hosting company manage it or go back to a shared server. But before I do so I wanted to try and get some feedback from others about the time and effort it takes for an admin to "watch over" a server. Is this a large task best left to hosting companies that have the tools and manpower? (I am a one-man shop doing website designs and application programming so my plate is full enough as it is.)

This morning I read some of the other threads about cPHulk Brute Force and how some suggest getting CSF and LFD, but how deep does this security issue go? Do I also need a firewall?

Getting locked out cPHulk was a red flag warning that I might be over my head here and have paused all activity until I think this through and know for sure I can protect what I am doing. Thanks for any advice and info.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's definitely possible to manage a server as an individual. However, a certain level of knowledge/experience is recommended. One alternative is to hire a system administration company to help resolve/address issues as they arise as you continue to learn how to manage the server. To answer your other question, yes a firewall is recommended (CSF is popular with cPanel users).

Thank you.

3. RTNM

RTNM Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for this info. I will check with my hosting company for this dedicated server as they do offer a "Managed Care Bundle" (the price says "Varies"). I am on a shoestring budget, but obviously skimping on security is not wise. Can you recommend a book that I can read to get up to speed ASAP? Approx how long does it take, generally speaking, to get a "certain level of knowledge/experience" to become competent at server administration (given that I have adequate intelligence and time to put forth to learning it everyday)? I guess I am trying to get a feel for how big this monster in the dark is.

Thanks again!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's difficult to say how much time or effort is required. It's typically something you learn over time as with most skill sets. There are several books and documents online that are helpful. Search for terms such as "learning linux system administration" and see what feedback is out there.

Thank you.